Skip to main content

My Sleep Paralysis Demon

https://images.nightcafe.studio/jobs/5ceTlvx0w65wHIUvWUon/5ceTlvx0w65wHIUvWUon--1--1li5p_15.625x.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

One late night around 11 pm. I was anxiously studying for my upcoming finals because my mind became captive to the fear of screwing up my exams.

We were given a month to review our lessons before this finals. All my other classmates started to review during that first month while my lazy and care-free ass decided to play video games and procrastinate since I feel confident that I have stocked up enough knowledge from our previous lessons.

The exams would start on next week. And I am on my desk late at night cramming and memorizing every topics without giving it a burl to comprehend everything. " If you hadn't been a lackadaisical and an easygoing dumbass you wouldn't have to study panic and become anxious" I muttered to myself loathingly.

When I checked my phone it was already around 4 am and decided to call it a night and go to sleep since I need to go to work at 7 am. I set up my phone's alarm to 6 am so I can wake up at that time and prepare. I woke up to the blaring alarm which pissed me off a little and prepared myself. I did my usual daily morning routine. Make the bed, take a shower, getting dressed, eat breakfast, and brushing my teeth then off to work I went.

For the pass 5 days this has become my daily routine. Studying late at night and sleeping late and then going to work looking and acting like a zombie. Eventually this had deteriorated my health so much it had turned me into a snappy and unhinged raccoon which made my loved ones understandably concerned and worry about me.

I told them that I was fine and was just a little burnt out from stress from too much studying and work. While in reality I was just slacking off and not valuing my time very well. One night before the supposed day of our finals. I was doing my usual unhealthy and hasty studying habit, but this time I was studying at bed while laying down and reading and scanning my notes since my body ached so much from my irresponsible routine. My eyes were starting to shut down and did my best to fight off the drowsiness but alas I was overcomed by the tempting beast and fell asleep dropping the notes on my hand unto the floor.

Then I woke up and started to survey my surroundings with my eyes . I looked up my digital wall clock and the time was 3 am which made my heart pound like a war drum since I know that paranormal activities were active during these times. Then I realized another terrifying thing I wasn't able to move my body apart from my wandering eyes. This only increased the pounding of my heart and tried my best to break off from this terrible trance

I'd heard of sleep paralysis before and this is the first time that it had happened to me before. If I remembered correctly, prolonged sleep depravation and stress can cause it to happen. Then all of a sudden my closet door began to slowly:

CREAK!....

What was worse is that the closet was directly facing my bed (about 5 feet apart) giving me a front row seat to face something nightmare fuel. I saw two clawed shadowy hands emerged from the darkness of the closet which made me sweat bullets and desperate to close my eyes in order to not see that horrible thing.

Then the shadowy creature popped out from the closet revealing it's towering, tarry and emaciated body. What scares me the most were it's bloodshot eyes and crescent smile that streched from ear to ear. Then the thing slowly approached me in a taunting and macabre manner as if it was mocking me for my unfortunate situation.

A waterfall of tears began in my eyes and I looked up on my ceiling praying to God to break free from this nightmare. Then I came face to face with the creature looking down at me and made my heart beat as if my blood cells were having a marathon in there.

It stared at me for a few moments then it slowly backed away and snapped it's "fingers" and I had regained my ability to move my body and talk again. I gasped for an ocean size air as if I ran around the world. I was expecting for the thing to go away but i was horrified to learn that it was still there sitting at the foot of my bed and it began to talk.

" Woah, relax bro I was just messing with you, I ain't gonna hurt you" it said .

I was dumbfounded for a moment until I said:

"Wh..... who... are....you... and...why...a....are...yy....you...in mmyyy....c..close...t??? I asked with a trembling and shaky voice.

" My name is Eidengrau but you can just call me Ed for short. I live in everyone's closets" The shadowy thing said.

I tried to compose myself and asked him : " why didn't you just take my soul or something?? Aren't you like the Grim Reaper or something??

"Woah buddy, I am not here to take your soul or anything" Ed chuckled in a friendly manner then continued.

"I am actually here so I can help you with your problem"

"Problem? " I questioned

" I've been watching you from your closet and have noticed that your not spending your time very well" Ed said in a scolding but friendly way.

" Yeah... I admit I've become too lazy irresponsible with time" I said in an embarassed tone.

" That's why you're going to get another chance to redeem yourself" Ed said in a gleeful tone.

" Another chance? How is that even possible? I already wasted my one month procrastinating " I asked doubtingly.

" Let's say I'll manipulate the weather for one week and make it rain Cats and Dogs" Ed said as if he was a businessman making a deal.

" Are there any exchange? consequences?" I asked fearfully.

"You don't have to worry about that buddy, all I wanted you to do is make up for the time you wasted" Ed said reassuringly.

"Now you go to sleep and rest so you can feel refreshed in the morning bud". Ed said in a paternal way.

After my encounter with Ed. We said our goodnights and he returned to my closet and dissapear to the darkness. Then I fell asleep on my bed feeling an odd sense of comfort. The next morning I heard a the hard and continous pitter-pattering of the rain. Then I checked my group chat in messenger and our principal has officialy announced that classes would be suspended for 1 week due to an incoming hurricane and the good thing is that the finals were rescheduled after the storm has passed.

For the following one week I started to properly manage my time by studying, sleeping early, and cleaning around my apartment with a help from my newfound friend Ed (He's a good tutor buddy). After those weeks I feel confident to answer my exams and after the exams and the test papers were returned, I was estatic to learn that I've scored high on every subject. I returned home and knocked on my closet to thank Ed. He popped out and I embraced him as a sign of gratitude.

"You did great kid" He said like a proud father with a warm smile. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets