Skip to main content

I Asked An AI To Create An Image of God

 https://fiverr-res.cloudinary.com/images/t_main1,q_auto,f_auto,q_auto,f_auto/gigs2/317121810/original/0acaf92e9abc571ec593965ca16cb3b8af6cb98c/deliver-the-perfect-ai-generated-artwork.png

For all the buzz around AI (most of it being overhyped in my own opinion) I can't deny that there are no doubt going to be a huge number of applications of it in the future. I wouldn't be participating in this research project otherwise after all.

I was working on a special kind of image-generating AI- rather than looking through drawings and such of other people, we instead fed it photographs of real life. Our goal was to create an AI which could create realistic images of things it had not seen based off other information- for example, one may be able to upload photographs of lions, and then ask for an image of a similar animal- like a tiger, if one changed some of the parameters. One of the main applications of this was to try and create accurate 3-D models of proteins based off of amino acid sequences.

There were several issues with the AI of course, but we were ironing them out. I was running a few tests, asking it to make photographs of birds making a nest, or deer drinking from a stream. Some of the images were good enough to pass for real photographs, but with many more it was clear that something was wrong, like an ear was missing or an animal had four eyes.

One day- I was getting rather bored and a thought struck me. We were asking it to create images of things it had never seen before, so why not ask it to make something that didn't exist?

I asked for a photograph of a unicorn, describing it as a horse with a horn. I got a rather hilarious result as it showed an image of a horse with a French Horn erupting from its forehead.

With a chuckle- I thought to make something even more absurd- I asked for it to make an image of God.

All I got was an 'error' message and a bunch of distorted pixels. Then again, I had only put in the word 'God' into the machine, so it likely had no idea what to do about it.

'Omnipotent being', 'that which is present everywhere', 'immortal', 'divine'- I played around with words one would use to describe god and asked the machine to try again.

At first I had trouble understanding what it was that I was seeing. The image showed a very odd figure and at first I couldn't make heads or tails of it. It had seven arms in total- three on one side and four on the other. It stood like a centaur on four limbs- though they were all human legs. It didn't seem to have a head, with a torso that ended in a stump of a neck. Its skin was a deep scarlet, and it stood in a room which was so dark that I couldn't make out the details.

I was expecting to see an old mad in the clouds, but I guessed there was some quirk with the AI which caused this. The odd number of limbs was something that was a common glitch with it, so I disregarded it. I asked it to make another image.

What surprised me at first was that the next image was very similar to the first- if you've ever used an AI you're used to difference which every image you make even if the description is the same. It still had the same number of limbs, four on one side and three on the other. It was nearly identical to the first image, but it was far closer to the 'lens' if you will, if this was an actual photograph.

I wanted it to try a third time only for something to happen which had never happened before. There was something on the 'lens' so to speak, as if someone had written something on it, or added it later with some kind of special effect. It was written in reverse though- so I had to mirror it to see what it said.

'I CAN SEE YOU'.

I nearly dropped out of my chair. I had never seen a message generated in an image before, the engine wasn't too good with letters yet and generated garbage when asked to make text, but this was very clear. "Is that... blood?" I whispered to myself as I noticed how dark the text was. My eyes drifted to a finger on one of the man hands the creature had, and I saw that it darkened, as if there was blood there.

I gulped- this had to be a mistake, right? I should've known better- I shouldn't have asked it to generate another image just to be sure.

Again, I saw a message.

'IT IS BLOOD. IT WILL BE YOURS IF YOU DO NOT STOP.'

I had seen enough. I shut down the program and went outside. That thing... though it had no face, I could feel its anger, even through the image.

I was so scared of it that I ended up clocking out of work early that day. I added 'God' to a list of words that the engine would not accept as a valid input later on, justifying it as something we should do to respect people's religious sentiments.

I hope that is enough to appease... whatever it was that I saw. I can only ask you, in case you do work with AI, to be careful of what you ask it to draw. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets