Skip to main content

My Property Isn’t Normal (Part 7)


Series by Murderbird17

So Mark got possessed! It was a new experience for me honestly. Also, i think we are going to have to deal with skinny soon, he destroyed a van the other day that was carrying supplies out to us, I’ll get to that later though. I actually learned a lot from the spirit that possessed Mark before it left, and yes it left, i didn’t have to banish it or anything. Let me just tell the story before i end up spoiling something.

The day after the tall man incident (refer to part 6 for more information on that) Mark started acting funny, but in a good way in my opinion. He was much less commanding and hostile, like he had no energy. This meant he didn’t want to keep checking around the property for monsters constantly and i was able to do what i wanted again without him complaining. When i noticed the change in his behavior, i thought of two reasons that could be causing Mark to act this way. 1, he was sick. 2, he was being a little scaredy prick after almost being killed by the tall man. Turns out I was wrong on both accounts.

After two days of Mark being reserved and borderline unresponsive on my couch, i knew something was up. As much as i don’t want to admit it, Mark is a badass in his own right. He isn’t the kind of person to crumble after a traumatic event, he’s a fighter. I was aware of his unnaturally aggressive fight over flight response when he first encountered skinny and almost rushed out to certain death just to show skinny that he wasn’t here to play games. On top of that, he didn’t show any real signs of sickness, he was tired and slow to respond yes, but he wasn’t sensitive to light like a concussion, he wasn’t hot or cold, no runny nose, no trouble breathing, etc.

It was on the third day of this strange behavior (yesterday) when i confronted him and got an answer. “So umm, Mark, any idea why you’re so tired and lazy and shit?” Just as i finished asking this Mark shot up to a sitting position on the couch and whipped his head around to face me! In a voice much higher than his regular voice he exclaimed, “I thought you would never ask! I finally finished taking over this body a few hours ago and was waiting for the right moment to reveal myself. You see Mark is on vacation right now and I’m taking his place!” “Oh, nice, when will he be back?”

His wide smile quickly found itself upside down. “You know what Cole? This is why i really hate you. YOU ARE LITERALLY NO FUN WHATSOEVER!” “Well if you aren’t Mark, then i don’t know you, and how would you know that I’m not fun, don’t you know it’s wrong to judge a book by its cover?”

Mark’s, no, the replacement Mark’s voice was starting to sound irritated. “I’m a ghost dip shit, I’ve been here for months trying to fuck with you. I EVEN TRIED TO POSSESS YOU, but unfortunately for me you are incompatible. And no matter how hard i tried to get your attention or scare you, i was always met with you just brushing it off! I worked really hard too! Like that time i moved the tv while you were watching, or the time i put holes in all your socks to make your big toe pop out!”

I was finally starting to catch on to what was happening at this point. “ Ohhhh, i thought that the tv was just the wi... HOLY SHIT YOUR THE ONE WHO PUT HOLES IN MY SOCKS, you piece of cock meat, you made me think i had sandpaper toes!” He chuckled a little. “At least that one worked, anyways, as you probably already knew, being a ghost has its limits, it’s extremely difficult to have any affect on the physical world and we can’t affect living tissue in any kind of direct way whatsoever, but now that i have a vessel i can finally kill you.”

Well shit, that escalated quickly. As i process the new information that i have just received, fake Mark speaks up again. “One thing i bet you didn’t know is that as a ghost, when i take over a body, i can’t see all of the host’s memories, but the body still retains any natural reflexes and skills that the host has acquired through his or her lifetime. And this guy has some seriously badass skills!” Fake Mark the sprang to his feet and did a round house kick that shattered a nearby lamp into a million pieces, then turned to my wall punched at hard as he could! I’m pretty sure he expected to punch right though but only ended up leaving some bloodied knuckle prints.

“Yea there’s a stud there.” I said as fake Mark doubled over holding his damaged hand. “I now realize that thank you.” He wheezed out before standing back up straight again. “Even so, this guy is plenty skilled enough to end your sorry ass!” fake Mark shouted with a wicked grin. “You must have been out the first night he got here but ok.” He cocked his head a little after this comment then quickly brushed it off and lunged at me.

I’ll try to explain what happened next as best i can. As he rushed me he threw a right handed jab at my head, i countered this by hooking my arm over the inside of his shoulder with my left arm as i ducked the punch and put my right arm between his legs so i could lift him off of the ground. I then did a fireman throw which basically means that i tossed him into the air and subsequently slammed him back onto the ground by exploding back up to a standing position and releasing my hold on his leg while skill keeping a strong grip on his shoulder. This made fake Mark fly over my head and still slam onto the ground at my feet.

I wanted to explain how this happened so people don’t just accuse me of bullshitting. And for the record, i don’t think this would have worked on real Mark, I’m sure he would have seen it coming.

Anyways, this should have knocked the breath out of him so i wasn’t ready when punched the back of my knee and dead legged me so perfectly i went straight to my ass. Middle school me would have taken notes on perfect execution of this move. Fake Mark ended up getting back to his feet before me ,unfortunately, and jumped onto me, putting me flat on my back. Fake Mark then reeled his fist back for a final blow. As his fist flew towards my face i managed to move my head to the side at the last second, and his first connected with the hard wood floor at A respectable speed.

He may have been able to recover from this quickly if it hadn’t been the same hand that he had already smashed on the wall a few moments before. As fake Mark winced at the pain i threw my leg into the air and proceeded to connect with his no no square. It was more effective than the slam from earlier, that’s for sure. I stood up slowly while fake Mark tried to decide if he should use his remaining good hand to grab his crotch or his shattered knuckles. Before he could decide i grabbed his glock that was sitting on the coffee table and took aim.

Didn’t take fake Mark long to look up and realize that i now has complete control of the situation. He stood up but didn’t make any further advanced at me, he instead opted to put on a pouty face and plop down into my recliner in defeat. Then it hit me, “why are you afraid of dying? That isn’t even your body, you can’t die again can you?” Fake Mark snapped back in a still somewhat aggressive tone, “If this body dies while I’m in it I’ll get sent back, and i don’t think I’ll be able to escape again if that happens.”

“Why are people always so vague when i ask a question? Escape from where? That’s an important detail!” I fully expected fake Mark to snap back again but all he did was look me in the eyes and mumble “Hell”.

The absolute terror on his face seemed genuine, and usually i try to stay respectful and patient when someone is in a emotional state like that. Unfortunately for fake Mark, he wasn’t a person, he was a ghost that was possessing my, ahhhh, acquaintance? And i don’t really appreciate that very much, so i continued with my questioning.

“How did you escape hell the first time?” Fake Mark was surprisingly cooperative now! “I found a gateway and walked through it, ended up on this land, i think there is some sort of portal to hell around here. It seems that it’s mostly ancient creatures that come out though instead of regular spirits, only thing i can figure is that they were banished to hell only to be let back out at this location.” Damn, i was expecting a badass story about a battle with the devil, not an actual plausible cause for all the crazy shit that goes on here.

“Well you seem to know your shit. Why do i get the idea that you know more about hell and monsters than the average lost soul?” “I was a preacher in life.” “Then why were you in hell?” Because i studied the occult in my spare time and skimmed out of the donation bowl.” “Ahhh that makes sense. Guess god is cheeky like that. But what makes you think that all the weirdos in those woods come from a portal to hell?”

Fake Mark then started speaking in a more relaxed and confident matter, “not all the beasts out there come from the portal, actually, most of em don’t, just some of the particularly nasty ones. You met one the other day, i think you called him the tall man, he’s a recent immigrant, i think he got banished in the 70s by some monster hunting group, he was one of the more average ones, but you already know the most powerful one, don’t you?” At this, fake Mark started grinning. He was right, i knew exactly who he was talking about.

“ITS THAT CHUCK HULU GUY THAT THE CHOSEN WORSHIP ISN’T IT!” Fake Mark’s grin transformed into a grimace, “Holy hell Cole i seriously fucking despise you, it’s that thing you call skinny, Cthulhu is a cosmic entity from another plain of existence, separate from hell. Skinny on the other hand is absolutely a product of hell.” “So he’s a demon then.” No, not a demon, but an amalgamation of at least a few other creatures that I’m pretty sure old Lucifer created himself. If i had to guess, Lucy is planing to take over the mortal plain and is throwing some creatures out here to test the waters before his final assault.”

“Shit, that isn’t good! I might be on his bad side since i keep mooning skinny, also, do you know what skinny is?” “No, but i do know that he doesn’t seem to be able to enter a home without being invited in, and when he takes the appearance of something, wether it be a sumo wrestler or a baby rabbit, he maintains the same weight and strength as his regular form.” “And how do you know he stays the same weight?” “Because i once saw saw him spying on you as a squirrel, only to snap the giant branch he was perched on under his weight, then proceed to shred the trunk of the tree with his little squirrel claws until it fell over out of frustration.”

I remembered that tree, i thought it had been attacked by the family of 6 legged beavers that live down by the creek but i guess i was wrong. It was beginning to seem like fake Mark was a serious asset when it came to knowing about the stuff around here! I’m also curious about what different monsters make up skinny. If any of you have any ideas feel free to comment them because I’m pretty clueless as of now. The invitation thing is from vampires though isn’t it? I don’t know, sounds too cliche to be true.

“Anything else you wanna get off your chest preacher man?” Guess i hit a nerve with that question. “Fuck you, I’m a woman! I’m tired of you being so damn clueless!” “What! I didn’t know that women preachers were a thing?” Again, poor choice of words Cole. “That’s it, I’m leaving!” We we’re practically screaming at each other at this point which in hindsight was really unnecessary. “Ok. To be fair, you don’t look OR sound like a girl in Mark’s body, and all i ask is that you answer one more question.” “Fine!” she yelled. I had been wondering about this since the beginning of the conversation so i was ecstatic to get one more chance to ask.

“You said i was incompatible for you to possess me, why is that?” At this fake Mark took on a serious expression. “It means that you are either a descendant of some saint, or some godly power favors you, or maybe... no, couldn’t be that.” And with that fake Mark seem to pass out. Guess it was the spirit leaving the body.

Soon after, real Mark started to wake up and ask where he was. I told him it was a long story but he should probably get some fresh air before i told him. When he grabbed my outstretched hand so i could help him up, i squeezed. While he yelled in pain i calmly told him. “You owe me a new lamp.”

That’s all for Mark’s possession, he actually took the news pretty well. I think he’s been possessed before or something. I kept the part about me being “incompatible” to myself, not really sure why, it just didn’t seem like something i should share at the time. Things are heating up around here. Something big is going to happen soon and with the information we got out of spirit preacher lady, it’s starting to look like me and Mark can’t do this on our own. I think he called in backup but he won’t actually tell me for sure. He just keeps looking out the windows a lot. I’ll update again soon. Cole signing off

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets