Skip to main content

My First Time Camping (Part 2)


Hey everyone, first I want to thank you all for your comments and advice. I’m not going to lie, it really freaked me out! I don’t know anything about this wendingo/skinwalker/fleshgait shit but from the limited research I could do (basically my phone would only load the first page of google, so I could just check out the result summaries), it’s suffice it to say I am thoroughly frightened.

I’m going to let you know what happened to me the last 24 hours but first I just want to clear up something that folks seem a little confused about - I’m not in the Pine Barrens. Ryder is from the Pines but he took me to the Catskills in New York to camp. I’m not sure if that changes anything. Are skin walkers and their ilk only in the Pine Barrens? Or can they be in any woods?

Regardless, I took your advice yesterday and decided to leave on foot to get help. I grabbed my backpack, threw water and food in it, and set out down the very long driveway. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it very far before Ryder found me.

He emerged from the thicket of trees on the left side of the trail about 15 minutes into my journey, dragging the axe in the dirt behind him. When I saw the look on his face, a cold, sinister expression, I took more of your advice and decided to pretend like nothing was wrong despite the fact that my heart was thumping wildly in my chest. For my sake, I hope he is still human, or he could have surely heard it.

“There you are! Oh my god Ryder, I’ve been looking everywhere for you! I was so worried. Let’s go back to the cabin.”

Without waiting for him to reply I turned and started walking back the way I came. At first I wasn’t sure if he was going to follow, but then I began to hear large, heavy footsteps behind me. They sounded so loud that when I turned around I almost expected to find a horse, but it was just Ryder, dragging the axe and his feet before each heavy step. He didn’t say a word.

When we arrived back at the cabin I immediately went inside and put my things down. My heart was still racing, my whole body tingling with fear. I went to one of the windows and nearly jumped back in shock when I saw Ryder standing in front of the porch railing, staring stony faced into the cabin.

I forced myself to calm down and stepped outside. I leaned against the cabin wall, right against those horrifically large scratches, crossed my arms, and turned my attention to Ryder.

“Hey, so... I could use a couple things from the general store. What do you say we head into town for a nice dinner and I can also pick up what I need?”

Ryder stared at me, and then slowly, so slow it almost seemed like slow motion, he blinked once. I don’t know what it was about this, but it fucking creeped me out. It was almost like he wasn’t registering anything I said. Just when I thought he was going to ignore me, he spoke one, croaky, hoarse sounding word.

“No.”

“Oh,” I continued trying to play it cool, “okay well, no problem. Can I just have the keys then? I’m going to run into town real quick and grab what I need, then I’ll come right back and we can have dinner by the fire again.”

This time he didn’t hesitate.

“No.”

For a moment, despite his behavior and the sound of his voice, I allowed myself to forget that this may not be my Ryder. I became exasperated. How dare he tell me I can’t go anywhere?

“Come on Ryder! What is the deal?! Just let me take your truck for a bit!”

“NO!” He bellowed at me, and the sound echoed - but it wasn’t like any echo I had ever heard. It repeated, over and over, maybe three, four times? It sounded like he was shouting it over and over but he stood there, his mouth closed, gnashing his teeth, staring me down.

I turned and ran inside.

The next few hours, as the sun set, I watched as Ryder continued chopping wood. Stump after stump was cut down wordlessly, emotionlessly. By now there is a giant stack of wood by the fire - far more than I can ever imagine we’d need, but he just keeps at it.

I tried to send a few texts to friends, though none of them own cars and could drive to get me, but because I was inside and not on the porch, none of them went through. I didn’t dare go outside, I wanted him to forget I was even in there.

As the sun set it cast a red glow into the cabin, and I was beginning to feel more and more panicked at the prospect of nightfall. I already had planned to leave again the next morning - I just needed to make it through the night.

Night did come, and Ryder stayed outside, now sitting by the fire. Watching him through the window, with the soft light of the flames illuminating his face, I felt a pull on my heart. That is the face of the man I love. That isn’t a monster, it’s Ryder - my Ryder. I’ll admit I began to cry a bit, whether from all the stress or the fear - but I quickly backed away from the window when he snapped his head to the left and looked right at me.

The next few hours were quiet, but then around 1AM he stumbled into the cabin. He almost seemed drunk, but I knew he hadn’t been drinking. I was lying in bed and immediately pretended to be asleep. I heard him shut the door and amble over to me with those same, heavy steps. The bed squeaked under his weight as he settled in next to me. Now I laid as still as I could, barely daring to breathe, while behind me, I could hear his own breathing, laborious and heavy, as if his lips were mere inches from my ear. Then he spoke in that strange, husky voice, and the words sent shivers down my spine.

“Love you, gumdrop.”

It wasn’t his voice, not the one I know, but it was his special nickname for me. It took everything within me not to burst into tears. Instead I took a breath in and held it, keeping my eyes shut as tightly as I could. Moments later, I sensed he had fallen asleep as his breathing turned even and steady.

I still didn’t dare to move. I didn’t sleep all night; I was too petrified. I laid awake, afraid to touch my phone or move an inch, lest I wake him. It was the longest eight hours of my life. Instead, all I did was make mental notes of what happened next, while staring at the red glowing numbers of the digital clock on the nightstand.

2AM I heard a creaking on the porch, like someone was walking out there, but no footsteps.

2:26AM There was a loud, sharp yap in the distance. Just a single sound, like a small dog or fox or something.

3:15AM The scratching/raking noises again, only this time it sounded like it was behind the cabin - on the wall right behind our bed. I actually cried out a bit when this started, but luckily it didn’t wake Ryder... neither did the scratching sounds, despite how loud they seemed to me. This continued for about 25 minutes. I think I almost had a panic attack at this point; it was really hard to even breathe.

4:05AM The scratching nosies have stopped, but now the roof of the cabin begins to creak, as if someone were walking across it back and forth. When it finally stops, it stops right above my head.

4:17AM I hear that voice again. It sounds just like Ryder - like Ryder’s normal voice - only this time I don’t think the repetitive phrase he is saying includes the word “stop,” - now I think it sounds like “rot.”

From then until 8AM, things were quiet. I almost drifted off to sleep even at one point, but as I did I was jolted awake by my own sense of panic. Finally, at eight, Ryder woke, stood up immediately, and slammed the screen door as he headed outside. I watched him leave, and realized he still had on the same clothes as yesterday - he had slept in them - which also means the truck key is still in his pocket.

I’m sitting at the kitchen table now, writing this update while I listen to him chop wood outside - he’s been doing it for hours. I have my backpack ready to go again. The moment he leaves to collect more wood, I’m booking it down the driveway. I think it’s about a mile to the main road. I’m not a runner, and have never been super athletic, but I’m hoping my adrenaline and determination can get me there fast enough. Once there I’m going to walk until I can hopefully flag down a driver to take me into town and then I can call family and friends.

I’m actually pretty afraid to hitchhike but, at this point, I kind of feel one danger outweighs the other. I also have to admit that there’s a part of me that feels guilty leaving him here alone... but I’ve been reminding myself that if this man isn’t my Ryder, then my Ryder might still be out there... and if so he needs my help.

Wish me luck, and please if you have any more advice (or even theories about wtf is happening) I could really use it right now. I’m hoping once I’m out by the main road my phone will pick up a bit more signal. The last thing I’ll do before I leave the porch and make my escape is post this.

I just hope I can find someone before Ryder finds me again...

---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets