Skip to main content

My Property Isn’t Normal (Part 6)


Series by Murderbird17

Well last post i said something wild was bound to happen sooner or later, i wasn’t disappointed! Mark has been living here for about a week now and he finally got was he was looking for, ACTION! It wasn’t really in his favor though.

I mentioned the patrols he keeps taking me on last post but i didn’t really go into detail. He calls them patrols but it’s honestly more of a scavenger hunt. HE EVEN GAVE ME A DAMN LIST, like a little kid or something. On the list were specific signs and objects that are indicative of “Tangible” activity. Tangible is fancy talk for monsters. I asked him what an intangible was as a joke and he nonchalantly said. “Ghosts and other shit that you can’t touch.” After i realized he was serious i popped the question. “Why not just say monsters and ghosts and shit?” He thought for a moment. “Because the people who name this stuff are nerds.” Fair enough i guess.

I’m off on a tangent again, back to the scavenger hunt. The list he gave me had a lot of stuff on it, and as i was walking through the woods for the second time that day, one thing on the list kept catching my eye. Stairs? Why the fuck would stairs even be on this list. That’s not paranormal at all! Also if there had been stairs in these woods, I WOULD HAVE ALREADY FOUND THEM. That’s not something you miss! I mean i thought this whole “search around for stuff” idea was stupid from the beginning anyways, i never searched for the hellspawn on this property, it always found me all by itself.

The only reason i even participated in Marks’s “patrols” were to humor him so he wouldn’t be AS crabby, and because i like to get outside anyways. Even so, Stairs? I was looking at the list, eyeing down the word “stairs” for the millionth time when it suddenly got dark. Confused, i look up to see that it hasn’t actually gotten dark, i was just in a shadow. A shadow that was being cast by a tall, skinny wooden wall. I had been to this exact spot a few days earlier and there had been no such object.

The wall was about 5 feet wide and ten feet tall, and i somehow almost walked directly into it without realizing. I began to walk around it and quickly realized, it wasn’t a wall. Yep, you probably already guessed, it was the back of a FUCKING FLIGHT OF STAIRS.

I was honestly fucking shook. It was like i had summoned them after thinking about them too much. I immediately called Mark on the radio he had given me for situations like this and yell, “DUDE I ACTUALLY FOUND STAIRS, LIKE REAL FRIGGIN STAIRS OUT HERE!” I hadn’t been this exited about something in a long time, and i had no idea why i was exited now. I think it had something to do with me thinking the stairs were such a stupid thing to look for only to end up finding some when i never expected to. Either way I barely heard Mark respond with “Ok, just stay put for a minute, I’ll be there soon. And please stop screaming, you’re scaring away all the... the things out here.”

He said something else but i wasn’t listening. I was far to engrossed in these stairs, i had to go up them. It wasn’t like they were calling to me or anything, it was more of the fact that i was pretty sure i would be able to see my house from the top. So with Mark still saying unintelligible commands on the radio, i began to ascend.

As i walked up the stairs the woods around me started to quiet down, which is weird in retrospect but i really didn’t pay any attention to that. Another thing i noticed was that there wasn’t any leaves or dirt or anything on the steps. Anyone who has experience in the woods knows that it only takes a few Hours for Mother Nature to spread her shit all over any given object that is left in her care. The real anomaly happened when i hit the top step though.

See the second my heel hit the top step i heard Mark let out a “WHAT IN THE SON OF A BITCH”, i froze. I started weighing my options, “if i let whatever was out there kill Mark, i wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore. I also told myself i wasn’t going to kill people anymore. Does it really count as killing him if i just let him die though? They’d probably just replace him anyways, guess I’ll go help” and with that thought, i went to go help him.

I honestly expected there to be a pale clamped onto his foot or for him to have fallen into one of Camo’s traps, but alas, all i found was Mark, with out shoes on, just socks, clenching the toes of each of his feet in his hands. Before i could even ask him what was going on he stuttered, “you-you went on the damn stairs d-didn’t you?” “Yes? And why does that matter?” I’m telling you, if looks could castrate. “Bad shit happens when you go up the stairs you dick, i told you over the radio not to go up ‘em!” “Ahh, must of missed that part, what happened to you anyways?”

Now this part is kinda nasty. Mark let go of the end of one of his socks to reveal that the toe area was covered in blood. He then removed the sock, and i shit you not, all of his toe-nails were gone! “DAMN, how’d you manage that?” “Are you daft Cole?! You did this when you went up those stairs!” Yea sounds stupid i know, but i kinda believe him, because i know for a fact that those stairs weren’t normal. I’m certain of this because when i went back to where they were to show Mark (who was limping something awful) they weren’t there anymore. Just, disappeared. Mark wasn’t surprised by this either. And in case you were wondering, i could NOT see my house from the top, which was a bummer.

That’s about it for the stairs but something else did happen yesterday, the day after the stair incident. I actually met a BRAND NEW MONSTER, at least new to me anyway. I think Mark knew what it was but he won’t tell me, it gave him the spooks though.

As you may have already gathered, it happened on one of Mark’s patrols. He was actually adjusting to life without toe nails pretty good, I’ll give him that. The night before he took a large amount of bandages and some rubbing alcohol from my bathroom, guess he did a good job on himself because he was walking pretty close to normal now. I did hear a lot of groaning and heavy breathing that night in my living room though. I hope it was him patching himself up and not him having fun on his laptop if you know what in saying.

Anyways, we were walking through an area of the woods that stays somewhat dark during the day due to the dense tree cover blocking out most of the sun. Other that the lack of light, everything seemed pretty docile. That was until Mark started complaining about a noise. “Cole, do you hear that... umm... i think it’s like static or something.” “What? No i don’t hear a thi” Mark put a hand on my chest stopping me mid sentence. I look over at him to see what’s up and he is staring at me with extremely wide eyes. “We need to get to the house. NOW!” I had never seen him get this flustered so i knew things were serious. I Nodded, and we both turned to run to the house, but the tall man was already blocking the way.

Now when i say tall man, i mean really REALLY tall man. I’m also fairly certain he wasn’t a man. Tall man just makes a good name. He was between 10 and 12 feet tall and was wearing clothes made out of what looked like dirty, brown and tan rags stitched together. These rags covered his whole body, including his hands, feet, and face. He was also thin, but something deep in my gut told me that he held some kind of unnatural strength. As his image sank into my brain i heard Mark whisper, “Holy shit it’s really one of them” off to my left. There was complete silence for a while, not actually sure how long. The only thing that i could hear was a slight static, buzzing sound. No one moved in the silence, not Mark, not me, not the pale that was about to bite into Marks leg while he was distracted.

Wait, “HOLY SHIT MARK LOOK OUT, PALE ON YOUR RIGHT.” With surprising speed, Mark pulled out his glock and put two shots in the pale’s head. It didn’t move after that, but the tall man did. The sudden scuffle seemed to set the tall bastard off into a rage and the once subtle static sound grew into a roar. It was like no sound i had ever heard before, maybe something like the sound of metal being ground up by other metal. However, the sound was the least of our worries. It started sprinting at us, it was originally about 30 yards away but it seemed to cover the distance in the blink of an eye. He was on us before we could react.

He went for Mark first, reached out for him with one of those long, skinny arms. His fingers seemed to stretch out just so that they could reach all the way around Mark’s torso. As Mark was lifted off of the ground kicking and yelling, he emptied the rest of his clip into the tall man’s head. It did nothing. That’s about the time when the big, black tentacles ruptured out from the creature’s back, 6 new weapons now ripping holes in the rags. This thing must be terrible at making its own cloths, like how hard would it be to just make tentacle holes so you don’t end up ripping your shirts. Anyhow, i really didn’t want this big fella ripping up Mark so i had to figure something out.

Before it managed to obliterate old Marky, i drew my gun and emptied my own clip into various parts of the monster in a effort to find a weak spot, no luck. In fact, THE BULLETS BOUNCED OFF OF HIM. One of them whizzed right past my ear. It was like under those rags he was made of steel. But I’m no quitter, i now had his attention and I’m pretty sure Mark was going unconscious at this point because he couldn’t breath due to the thing’s death grip. I drew my BRAND NEW BEAR GRILLS SURVIVAL KNIFE, and lunge with all my strength at its leg, but i didn’t stab it.

If bullets couldn’t get through this thing’s skin, my knife didn’t have a chance, but i had a plan. I got behind it! Only to get snatched into the air by one of its tentacles. I was immediately face to umm... rags? with this thing. It’s tentacle was wrapped tightly around my stomach. It now had Mark and i both exactly where it wanted. I swear i could hear a deep, demonic laughter within the still roaring static that filled my brain. But it stopped laughing when i started.

I began scream laughing, not really sure why, sometimes i think i might actually be insane. The tall man cocked his head to the side as if saying, “You do know you lost right?” The only thing i was able to say before the last of my air was squeezed out of me was, “I really hope this fucking works.” And with that, i took the knife that was still in my hand, and sliced at the tentacle as hard as i could. My hope was that since the tentacle could move so fluidly, the skin would have to be softer and weaker, otherwise it would be stiff and not flexible. Oh how right that theory was.

I was met with a spray of hot black liquid and the static sound morphing into the sound of nails on a chalk board. I fell 7 or 8 feet to the ground and landed flat on my back. That shit hurt, but adrenaline is a hell of a chemical so i was back on my feet almost immediately.

Two things i noticed off the bat, it was still holding a now unconscious Mark, and my attack hadn’t quite managed to slice through the entire tentacle, but i was close. The thing seemed to be deciding on wether to retreat, or try to kill me again. I took advantage of his slight hesitation and leapt at the now limp tentacle. I grabbed it and yanked with all the force i could muster. Now it completely severed itself from the beast.

Suddenly all the sounds in my head stopped, and i heard Mark hit the ground off to my right. I look up only to see the tall man’s covered head aimed at its now disconnected appendage. Then at me. Then at the woods behind him. Then at me. Then at his tentacle. Something tells me he’s never been injured before. After he finished looking at stuff he bolted backwards just as fast as he had approached us before. Yes, he sprinted off BACKWARDS. What is it with monsters and running backwards. Seems silly to me, and dangerous. Anyways, i ended up having to carry old Mark over my shoulder back to the house, and he could stand to lose a few lbs.

He woke up a few hours later and interrogated me on how i had managed to scare the thing off after he passed out. I told him i just ripped off my clothes and started running at the thing until it ran off. Mark said he won’t let me see the thing’s file until i tell what really happened but i wanna sell the naked story. Maybe I’ll tell him what really happened later and let y’all know the real name of the creature, or maybe I’ll keep trying to convince Mark that while he’s a monster hunter, I’m a monster PREDATOR!

That’s it for now though guys! I’ll post again soon. In case you were wondering, i haven’t seen skinny in a few days and still haven’t heard from the lady in the tree in a while. But life goes on right! Be sure to check out the other parts of this series. I’ll have links below! Until next time, Cole, signing off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets