Skip to main content

Secret of Cartoons: Doctor Who: Apocalypse


I want to begin by saying that I am a huge fan of the British series, Doctor Who. The year was 2005, and a pen-pal of mine, Geoff, told me about the series when it was returning to BBC. The show was about a humanoid alien who traveled through time and space in a police box. It was very popular, and I mean immensely. So popular that the show had been on for over forty years, with occasional breaks of course. When I first saw the blue box “bigger on the inside” and the “Daleks,” I was immediately hooked.

Of course, I've been watching the show for eight years since then. You can easily say I'm obsessed. As a matter of fact, I've gotten myself into some otherwise black market trade. I've downloaded hundreds of episodes, but one uploader in particular sticks out to me. Now, I won't give their name for legal reasons, but they had a collection of every single episode since 1963. They even had episodes lost to this date including the final episode of “The Web Planet.” You know, the one where the First Doctor regenerates after collapsing in the TARDIS? I will try not to get off topic.


Having similar interests, we traded and exchanged quite frequently. I uploaded “Confidential” clips from later series, and he sent me rare episodes scattered with junk files. Strange as it was, it worked well seemingly for the both of us. One day, I noticed in his listing an episode I've never heard of before. Now, I've seen every episode, and it was highly unlikely that I missed one. The file was titled: “DR WHO 7x14 – APOCALYPSE.rar.” I thought to myself: “No, this just can't be, but..” Episode 14 of Series 7 could not have been released. It was only February, and the episode was to premier in November. Fairly enough, like any madman with a box, I immediately downloaded the file to my computer. Within 46 minutes, I opened the .rar and noticed three files. The titles were anagrams of names of actors who played the Doctor, which I found quite brilliant.


I opened the first: a .txt file “Math's Mitt.” It read “Hello, this is fantastic. Pass it on. Do it in the name of the Doctor.” I found it wrong to pass on what was currently the rarest episode in the universe to just anyone. So I opened the next file: a .mp3 entitled “Nandin Vatted.” The audio was of a man gasping for air as what sounded to be a heavily distorted strum of piano strings was played in the background. Being that this episode was originally intended to be in honor of the 50th anniversary, thoughts of the classic TARDIS came rushing into my head: In 1963, its break noise was created using house keys scratched along piano string. I imagined a return of the original Mark I TARDIS, with a return of the Doctor's granddaughter; no wait, better yet, a return of all 11 Doctors for one episode! How great would that be?


The final file was a .avi entitled “Clotheshorse Precinct.” It was twenty-seven minutes long. I clicked the video, and it began with the typical WMM cheap title. I wondered: “Where in the fuck is the episode I downloaded?” Even though it wasn't what I previously thought it to be, I sat through anyway. The text of the video, which I assume was written by the uploader, made little to no sense. It brought up an entire planet's worth of propaganda. This lasted for about 5 minutes. It explained how Doctor Who holds its ties to British Wicca in the 1960s. By taking influence from episodes of this time, a whole new evil exists in its writing that was abandoned long ago. Every monster, every galaxy, every companion: all manifestations of Satanic symbolism.


Let's just say I was irate. How could they go against my favorite show, the greatest science fiction show ever created? The longest lasting in history! The video went on to discuss how the 50th anniversary script was leaked. The plot was to be the end of Doctor Who, the final episode that would create pandemonium, the end of time.


The plot was also to involve Clara, the Doctor's latest companion, and how she came to be the impossible girl. As even the latest Whovian would know, she is the girl twice dead. A living, breathing paradox. At one point, she was even a Dalek in an asylum. If you've watched Series 1-4 at least five times each, you'd also remember Rose Tyler and the Tenth Doctor, who were both to return for this particular episode. For now, let's begin with former companion, Rose Tyler.


In the episode “Dalek” of Series 1, Rose accidentally revives the last living Dalek with the touch of her hand in future 2012. For the record, late 2012 is when Clara first made an appearance in Doctor Who. What sickened me was the mention that this genetic transfer impregnated the Dalek. Even worse is that according to the text, this was discovered by the Metacrisis Doctor, a human clone of the Tenth whom was to grow old with Rose in a parallel universe. The script states for his actor, David Tennant, to be in utter shock and disgust. A Time Lord could not handle his love being with the most foul, wretched alien of his world. A human could not handle this, let alone Time Lord knowledge. At this point there is to be no sound, except for him screaming similar to scenes in the Series 2 final “Doomsday” as his head implodes. This, according to liner notes, will use similar CGI to that of some newly animated lost episodes.


I could not stand for one word of what I was reading! Four years ago, I had to watch my favorite Doctor go, but never will I again! Unfortunately, this makes a lot of sense in canon. How else could Clara be a Dalek and a human? Why else do roses appear with her constantly? How could she be spread throughout all of time and space unless her biological parents were a time-traveler and a mutant?


The Eleventh Doctor asks if this is true, and Rose is just emotionless. Clara is now said to be crying, having eyes similar to Rose's in the episode “Bad Wolf.” She then absorbs the energy of the TARDIS. If she already contains DNA traces in the first place, she is thus creating a paradox using all of time and space. She exterminates Rose as her body rapidly falls into a pile of dust. The Eleventh Doctor is absolutely speechless at this point, as no lines of his were added into this portion of the script. The Earth begins collapsing as the paradox is within itself. Every tree and leaf blowing in the wind disappears into the nothingness of a black hole. The entire Earth is set to slowly deteriorate in the background for about six minutes. Clara finally says "And now for you, my Doctor." The Eleventh Doctor explains how no one is meant to have that much power. He yells at her for five grueling minutes in a way uncanny to his usual goofiness. He calls her a "stupid, bloody ape" and brings up how she killed whom he refers to as his best companion.


This culminates in Clara being stabbed eleven times in the back with a sonic screwdriver variant referred to as 'laser dagger.' The Eleventh Doctor whispers in agony: "What.. what have I done?.. I've gone through so, so many of them. And my own people. I am not the Doctor." He realizes he broke the promise he took when he chose the name of the Doctor. He did harm to man, and in no way for the greater good. Meanwhile, Clara's body is releasing the excessive amounts of time energy stored within her. Out of fear of himself and what is to come, the Eleventh Doctor's actor, Matt Smith, is to stab himself in each heart: eight times in the first and four in the second for a total of twelve times. The difference in number of hearts between humans and Time Lords is well-known in canon. This is what he claims will undo the damage he's done to humanity throughout the course of his entire existence. He begins regenerating and screams in bloody murder, "All things must come to death. Everything dies!" This is reminiscent of Rose Tyler's Bad Wolf speech.


His 12th incarnation is to be played by John Hurt. He begins taking in Clara's time energy remainder, with fragments of Rose and the Dalek's DNA. He emits his first and final words: "Makes you just mad, doesn't it?" He escapes the destruction of Earth in his now engorged, dying TARDIS. It is not stated what becomes of him as the full script has yet to be completed.


I could not take this anymore. This entire episode has rewritten my hero: the one who's traveled across time and space, saving lives without gratitude. I can only hope that this will never be made possible. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets