Skip to main content

Halloween Creepypastas Part 7




THE HANGING TREE
“Son, I want you to promise me something.”

“Sure, Grandpa.”

“I’m serious, now. Promise you won’t go near the Hanging Tree on Halloween.”

“The what?”

“That big ol’ lonely tree, sitting right outside town. Legend goes, they hung a fella there on Halloween, more’n 100 years ago. Been an evil tree ever since.”

“How can trees be—“

“Shush, I’m telling you. When I was your age, me and my buddies dared each other to carve our names into its trunk. Weren’t no troubles, till Henry Phillips decided to top us all. Without saying why, Henry gathered us there on Halloween night, just to spite the tree and show off. We held his pocketknife and Zippo for him while he tied a rope around a rock and tossed it over a limb.

“When he was ready, he hauled himself up and disappeared into the branches and leaves. Then after awhile, way up high, Henry’s Zippo sparked and flickered, and we reckoned he’d started carving. ‘Cept right then, we heard him scream like he’d seen a ghost. His Zippo came tumblin’ down through the branches, with Henry following. I’ll never forget hearing CRACK! CRACK! CRACK! then WHUMP! as he hit the ground, dead.”

“What happened?”

“That’s what I wondered. So come morning, I climbed up myself. You know what I found, carved good and proper? ‘Henry Phillips, RIP.’ With dates, like on tombstones. They was the correct dates, too.”

“Why did Henry carve—“

“He didn’t. It was the tree’s message to Henry. Know how I know?”

“How?”

“Henry forgot to ask for his knife back. It was still in my back pocket when he climbed up there.”

Credits to: TerrifiedbyTwilight



THE TATTOO
Head throbbing, stomach churning, I pulled myself up slowly to a sitting position in bed. I hadn’t had a hangover this bad in ages. I remembered meeting my friends Todd and Kip downtown for a drink, but after moving to a second bar, everything goes dark. I hooked up with someone…think her name is Carla. After a minute, she came out of the bathroom, not looking much better than I felt.

“How are you?” I asked.

“I feel like shit,” she declared, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Thank god for cabs. Last thing I remember is the tattoo parlor…”

I tilted my head. “What? Tattoo parlor?”

Carla frowned and pointed. On the back of my hand was a brand new tattoo, the skin around its edges still red and irritated. It was some kind of symbol, like a rune or something. “I tried to talk you out of it.”

“What the fuck? I don’t remember anything. What is it?”

“There was this creepy old lady sitting at the bar and she overheard us talking about tattoos. She drew that on a napkin and gave it to you. Said it was an ancient symbol of good luck. Next thing I remember is being in a tattoo place where you got that done.”

I looked at the symbol again. “Good luck. Wonder if it works.”

Carla’s head snapped toward me. Her eyes widened and darkened. Her lips curled back to expose teeth like an angry dog. Suddenly, it wasn’t the face of a woman, but of a creature.

“You’re still alive, aren’t you?”

Credits to: minnboy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'