Skip to main content

Free-Diving




It had promised to be an awesome day. My dad was finally going to take me deep sea fishing off the east coast of the island. Like most kids on the island I wasn’t allowed on the east beach. It was for a stupid reason, of course: a mile out from the east shoreline there was a 500 ft drop off, an undersea cliff, and they didn’t think it was “safe” for us.

I think my dad agreed to take me to the east beach because of the divorce. Both of my parents were trying to win custody of me. They wanted me to choose. I just wanted my family back.

We made a plan to boat around the reefs for awhile, snorkel and let me practice my free-diving. I had been working on it for a year and I could already free-dive down to 21 feet! I wanted to break the world record one day. We found deeper and deeper places for me to dive as we wandered around the unfamiliar reefs and sand bars.

After we had finished exploring a sunken speedboat I decided to sunbathe and snooze for awhile. Dad got behind the helm to take us to our next location.

I was awoken by the shrill ring of my dad’s phone. He cut the engine so that he could hear the person on the other end of the line. I thought it must be his divorce lawyer because he decided to take the call below deck.
I peered over the side of the boat into the crystal clear waters and saw that the ocean floor was about 30 feet down. I wondered if I could free-dive that. Then I heard my dad yelling below deck and I realized he must be talking to my mom. I covered my ears, I didn’t want to hear that. I decided to try the 30 foot dive just for a reason to get off the boat.

I took several long, deep breaths and dove into the lucid, sparking water. I made it down ten feet easily and then 15, I struggled to 20 and then 25…I was doing it! I was almost there, I just needed to touch the seafloor and I could claim victory! I was so close, just a little more, I can make it, I can do it! My lungs began to burn, and I could feel the panic welling. And then, I was there. 30 feet down!

I quickly braced my legs and pushed off against the sea bed, jettisoning myself up toward the surface. My chest and my head were aching severely now. I swam up as hard as I could, hoping I hadn’t made a terrible mistake. Darkness peaked around the corners of my vision. My arms and legs began to feel weak. This had been such a stupid idea, I was going to drown here.

And then, suddenly, I broke the surface. I took the deepest breath I’ve ever taken and tread water for a few minutes as I tried to recover. I’d done it!

I climbed up onto the boat just as Dad was coming up the stairs.

"Dad, I did it!"

"Did what?"

"I free-dove down like 30 feet and touched the seabed! See?"

I looked over the side of the boat.

"Oh actually it only looks about 20-25 feet." I said quickly. "But that’s still a personal record!"

My dad raised his eyebrow and went to look over the side of the boat. I peered down with him.

"Oh…well now it only looks like around 15 feet. Nevermind, I guess." I frowned.

Dad backed up from the bow and started running toward the helm.

"Wha-, what’s wrong?" I asked, alarmed.

"We passed the drop-off a quarter mile ago," he yelled. "That’s not the seafloor!"

I didn’t understand. The seafloor was there, I’d touched it. I looked over the edge again.

5 feet….


Credits to: The_Dalek_Emporer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets