Skip to main content

Annie Lives In The Closet




For the first part of my life, I lived in a tiny, two bedroom flat which I shared with my mom. My dad walked out long ago so he was never really in the picture. I was a messed up kid. I had all these weird imaginary friends. The all had weird names like Cillnomo or Billybobnickel (I wish I was making this up).

And then… there was Annie. I don’t remember when I came up with Annie. She just sort of appeared one day. She was the most strange of all my imaginary friends. For one thing, she had no face. Well, I don’t know if she had a face. From what I can remember, she always had her hair totally covering it. She also lived in the closet and only came out at night. My mom thought it was just another phase and I’d soon grow out of it when I started school or came up with a new imaginary friend. But I didn’t.

Apparently, I behaved very strangely around the time I met Annie. I started staying up all night, leaving my closet door open, playing weird games like “Hangman Barbie” which involved tying a piece of wool around my dolls neck and dangling it out the window. I swear to god, I don’t know where I came up with this “game”. I mean, I was four. I didn’t know what a hangman even was… Things started to get worse. I would eat my dinner in my room, go wandering about the house at night, my mom even started finding knives in my room. Not little plastic baby knives but massive fucking steak knives, which was really screwed up because I was a small kid. There was no way I could have reached the cutlery drawer.

Then, my mom started noticing how thin I was. One day, she started to notice this god awful smell coming from my closet. She opened it and found all the food I was eating in my room, dumped on the closet floor. When she asked me why I did it I apparently told her; “Annie was hungry, mommy.”

Then my mom found the drawings. They were of totally awful things. People getting run over by cars, people getting stabbed, buildings full of people with bright yellow flames surrounding them. Then, there was the drawing I did of Annie. She was always covered in red. All over her pretty green dress, her light brown hair, everywhere… just covered in bright red crayon.

Apparently, when asked about these drawings I told my mom; “They’re Annie’s pretty pictures!” My mom took me to see the doctor, thinking I must have something wrong with me if I was behaving like I was. The doctor told me to describe exactly who this “Annie” was. “Annie is the girl who lives in my closet! She hasn’t got a mommy or a daddy. They went to sleep and left Annie. She says that one day I’ll go to sleep with her and I can meet them! It’ll be really fun!” Literally, word for word what I told the doctor. My mom still has the medical records. It was around that time that I moved house. My mom had got a new boyfriend and was moving in with him. I never mentioned Annie again.

Recently, I got interested in my family’s history, you know genealogy and stuff. A couple of days ago, I was looking up the history of my old house. It was an old tenement house that had been turned into flats so it was really old. Five years before my mom and I had moved in, a family was murdered in my flat. That was probably why it was so cheap. A man had shot his wife and six year old daughter then killed himself. The little girl had not died. She had been shot in the stomach, fatal but not enough to kill instantly. She had laid there, next to the bodies of her dead mother and father for over 14 hours before eventually dying of blood loss.

Her name was Annie.


Credits to: annieisinthecloset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets