Skip to main content

Midnight Rendezvous-Entry 32

Momma found me.

I dunno how and I dunno why, but somehow she found me.

But surprisingly, she wasn't here to take me away or bring me home.

She's just here to see me, and boy, did she look like she's seen better days.

Well, it all started last night when I finished my rounds at the parking lot, making sure things were working as usual, when the manager called me on my walkie-talkie telling me that I got a visitor. I thought it was Harrigon coming in again to ask me more unanswerable questions like he usually does, but when I got down to the lobby, there she was, my good ol' Momma, dressed in her so-called Sunday's best. I had a good mind to just high-tail away from there and leave her stranded there, but since she made it all the way here and hadn't said anything about coming home, I given her the benefit of the doubt.

I invited her into my home, no doubt seeing that disapproving look on her face at the scenery (though I don't give a fuck), and offered her something to drink. She took one look at the research papers and folders and the website page I had on my laptop and made a small cringe before sitting down on the sofa.

Momma: You're still meddling into things you don't understand, like I told you not to.

Me: I'm not under your roof now, so what I do is none of your fucking business.

Momma: Language, George.

Me: Not. Under. Your. Roof. Understand English?


I slammed the soda can onto the coffee table just to emphasize my point, and I think I made her jump a little bit, so I guess she got the message, coz she didn't say a word for almost quite a while until I had to break the ice.

Me: So, if you're not bringing me home—and I'm not coming home with you either way—what the hell are you doing here? How'd you find me anyways?

Momma: I had a…feeling you'd be here, after I read the papers.

Me: The papers? What, you think I've got something to do with whatever happened in the papers?

Momma: In a way, yes.


There she goes again, talking in riddles whenever that mood of hers decided to strike. I wonder if she got herself drunken up before she got here.

Me: Fine, if you're not gonna be frank with me, then just grab your soda and go. You've found me, you've got your wish, mission accomplished, so adios, senorita…

Momma: You've seen him, haven't you?

Me: Seen who?

Momma: You know what I mean. Him.


Him? Does she mean 'him' him…?

Me: I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, woman…

Momma: Don't play dumb with me. I can practically smell it on you


She stressed those words 'smell it' with gritted teeth, which is frickin' odd, coz she only does that when she's super disgusted about something. That, and when she's obviously drunk.

Momma: You never should've been born. I should've tossed you out the moment I knew I had you

Me: Woman, if you're gonna start again about me being a girl and not a boy and that it's my fault Pops left, save it and get the fuck out…

Momma: Your Pops would've left either way. It's not about you being a girl or a boy. It never is. It's about you being…you


She stressed that last word again. Definitely drunk.

Me: Oh yeah? What about being me?

Momma: You're an abomination. You shouldn't even exist. I never should've met your father in the first place. You weren't born for the sake of love. You were born for the sake of him!

Me: Huh?

Momma: How could I be so stupid? Your father never loved me. Your father never really cared about me either way. He wanted you to be born so that you would serve his purpose!

Me: His purpose? What the fuck are you talking about? What does Pops have to…

Momma: You think you're so special? You think the world revolves around you and that you can get away with everything you do? You're a monster, George, his monster! His own personal bloodthirsty monster!

Me: Woman, you're not making any sense!

Momma:
(she stood up abruptly and backed away when I tried to approach her to make her get a grip of herself) You saw him! Don't you deny it, you little monster! You fucking demon! You saw him! He whom your father serves! You…You…

Me: Get a hold of yourself, Momma! You're talking crazy here!

Momma: I should've killed you when I had the chance! I should've just smothered or drowned you the moment your father left! I had so many chances, so many opportunities, but now I can't…He won't let me…Oh no, he wouldn't, he wouldn't let me hurt his precious little monster…Oh no…You…You…


I was getting a little freaked out by her screaming and rambling, and even more so when she started choking in her words and staring at the window behind me. I turned to see what she was looking at but saw nothing, but clearly she could and it spooked her. She let out a tiny yelp and soon made a mad dash out of my apartment, stumbling at the stairs but never stopping until she was completely out of the building and into the streets.

That's when I finally felt the familiar coldness again.

I turned to look again but still there was no one there, but the feeling lingered.

And I had the feeling I knew what she saw.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets