Skip to main content

Therapy




“I… I don’t know. Please.”

I could see her hands fluttering anxiously in her lap. Clench, open, clench, open. Her chipped, broken fingernails made angry red crescents in the skin of her palms. One of her trembling feet glanced against the coffee table between us and she cringed back into her chair, relentless tremors racking her lean body. Like a frightened animal, I thought, jotting my observations down on the thick white notepad in my lap. The scratching of my pen against the paper seemed very loud in this tiny, stifling room. It was a shame I couldn’t open any windows, but rules are rules.

She leaned in closer, her mouth stretched in what was almost a caricature of pure dismay. “What are you writing? What are you writing about me? Please… I’ve told you… I’ve already told you…”

I cut her off quickly, knowing that this conversation would only go in circles. She had insisted time and time again that she didn’t know where she was, who I was, why she was here. Sometimes she would refuse to talk and would huddle in the corner, her face red and swollen with tears. Sometimes she did not know who she was. By the end of almost every session, she would become overwhelmed by anxiety and paranoia, screaming at me to take her home until her voice was hoarse and cracked. The delusional babbles of someone losing grip on reality. It saddened me to think that maybe some patients were truly beyond my help.

“I regret to inform you, Elizabeth, that this will be our last session.”

“That’s not my –”

“Do not interrupt!” I snapped, tutting loudly. People these days really do lack respect. Nonetheless I feel that she could be pardoned, considering her unfortunate condition. “As I was saying, I do not feel that your stay at this facility has been… curative. However, there is one last treatment we have yet to try. Perhaps we can fix you yet!” I looked up, a grim, determined smile on my face. She blanched and began to sob weakly, hair hanging limply over her face like a shroud. She was probably remembering the failed attempts at electrotherapy. But no matter. This one was sure to work.

“I only want to help you, Elizabeth,” I murmured, holding my scalpel up to the light. The sobs rapidly turned to shrieks of terror, the metal shackles clattering violently together as she thrashed in the chair. “Don’t be afraid. This is all part of the healing process.”

It really was rather stuffy in this room. But the windows had to remain latched – after all, I couldn’t have the neighbours hearing my patient’s therapy. They might misunderstand my work.

And I do so love my job.


Credits to: godger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets