Skip to main content

I Found A Serial Killer’s Cell Phone (Part 1)

 https://www.cnet.com/a/img/resize/cfe87bbbdf4d7fafebfdc2edeebe07e801d078d3/hub/2017/12/25/5f19a996-63f8-4edd-86bb-ff7e3e9717ee/gettyimages-769800923.jpg?auto=webp&fit=crop&height=675&width=1200 

Text Log (11/4/18) Beginning 10:42pm

BRNR3: Hello? Did someone find my phone?

You: Yeah, I did. I work maintenance at the hospital and it was in the discard pile for old lost and found.

You: I wasn’t trying to steal it or nothing, they just get rid of unclaimed lost stuff after a month. The tag said this was left there back in late September. If you want it back though, that’s cool.

BRNR3: What hospital was this?

You: River North Hospital. The tag said it was left by a John Doe…guess that’s you…in the ER. So is that you?

BRNR3: It is. I didn’t have money for the doctor, so I decided to leave without giving my name.

You: Damn, man. That sucks. Nice phone tho. I thought I’d hit the jackpot tonight. Just charged it and turned it on when you sent the text. You must have been looking for it, huh?

BRNR3: Yeah, I got an alert when it powered on. When can I get it back?

You: Well, I can bring it back into the hospital tomorrow afternoon. Tell them to hold it for you until you can come by to pick it up.

BRNR3: Well

BRNR3: That might work.

BRNR3: Or I could just come get it from you tonight. I’m not that far from you right now, as a matter of fact.

You: Lol. Good joke man. Points for being creepy. But nah, I’ll just leave it at lost and found tomorrow. Have a good night.

BRNR3: I’m not joking.

BRNR3: You live on Abercorn Street, right? I can see the GPS location for my phone too. And I’m familiar with that area. You live in the big apartment building I bet.

You: Look, man. I’m not trying to be weird or nothing. But I don’t know you. And I’d rather just drop it by work and let you get it officially if that’s cool.

BRNR3: It would be, but I’m flying out in the morning. Going to be gone for two weeks and I need that phone. Been using a burner for over a month and I have too much stuff on there that I need while I’m gone. That’s why I’ve been watching so close for it to come back on.

BRNR3: Please. I’m not some nut. But I really need to get my phone tonight.

BRNR3: Please. I’ll pay you a finder’s fee.

You: Nah, no need for that. Look, I live in Belvedere Apts. You text when you get here and I’ll run it down to you. Will that work?

BRNR3: Yeah! Awesome! Thanks so much. I’ll text you in about 15 minutes.

BRNR3: Thanks again!


Text Log (11/4/18) Beginning 11:08pm

BRNR3: Okay, I’m about to be outside.

You: Cool. Omw down.

You: Where are you?

You: I’m standing right outside the front door of the building. Gray sweater.

You: Hello? It’s cold and I’m about to head back in. You here or not?

You: Ok. Fuck this. Sorry, dude. Idk if you got lost or what, but you’ll just have to pick it up at the hospital. Later.


Text Log (11/5/18) Beginning 1:18am

BRNR3: Sorry I didn’t come get the phone. It’s just that

BRNR3: I got to thinking. Did you look through my phone?

BRNR3: Did you?

You: Wtf? No. I didn’t look at your fucking phone. I’m trying to sleep. Fuck off and get it back from the hospital.

BRNR3: Are you sure? Are you sure you didn’t look at my phone?

You: Look at what, you freak?

BRNR3: I think you did. I think you saw all the pictures. The videos. Everything.

You: Get your phone at the hospital. You text me again and I WILL look through your phone and call the cops for harassment.

BRNR3: No. You call the cops and you die.

You: Who the fuck is this? Is this Jamie? Jamie, is this some kind of fucking prank? Not cool. I’m too tired for this shit.

BRNR3: This isn’t Jamie.

You: Then who is it?

BRNR3: A friend. For now.

You: Don’t text me again.


Text Log (11/5/18) Beginning 2:42am

You: Okay. I’m sorry. I’m sorry I took your phone. I will drop it wherever you want. I don’t know who you are, and I don’t want to know. I haven’t called anybody. I just want you to get your phone back and leave me alone.

BRNR3: So you did look at the phone.

You: Yeah. I really hadn’t before. But I did now. Just a little. Was that all real? Please tell me it was fake. I won’t be mad.

BRNR3: It was real. Though if it makes you feel better, nothing is traceable back to a particular known crime, so you’re not withholding evidence by not calling the cops.

You: I swear I didn’t. I won’t. I just want out of this. Let me get you your phone back or destroy it or whatever you want. Just let me be rid of it and I’ll forget you even exist. I swear.

BRNR3: I believe you. Mostly. The problem is, mostly believing you still means you have to die.

You: What? I don’t know anything, I don’t!

BRNR3: But you do. And so if you’re going to avoid dying, you have to make me fully believe you.

You: Ok. What do you want me to do?

BRNR3: Well, for me to fully believe you, I need you to be invested in this. Invested in what I do. What’s on that phone. Be a party to it. So that telling on me is also telling on yourself. Understand?

You: I can’t do that. I can’t hurt someone.

BRNR3: I think you’d be surprised what you can do when you’re given a little push. But I don’t expect much from you. You’re new to all that, and I’m not unreasonable. So we’ll start with something simple.

BRNR3: You need to pick.

You: Pick what?

BRNR3: You need to pick the next person I…meet. The next person I treat like you’ve seen on that phone.

You: I can’t do that. I won’t do that.

BRNR3: I think you can and will. If I’m wrong, I’ll accept my mistake. And I’ll console myself by coming to see you instead.

You: I’ll call the cops instead.

BRNR3: Go ahead. There’s nothing on that phone that can be traced back to me. They won’t find me now any more than anyone has before.

BRNR3: But I’ll find you. I always find the things I really need. And if you betray my confidences like that…well, I will NEED to meet you.

You: Okay, okay. I was just bluffing. No cops. But I can’t tell you to hurt someone.

BRNR3: I didn’t say you had to tell me what to do. I’ll decide what happens to them. But I do need you to give me a name. Share enough responsibility that I know you won’t tell on us.

You: Fuck. I don’t know.

BRNR3: You’ve got until sunrise. Think carefully. I’ll expect an answer by 7am. TTFN.


Text Log (11/5/18) Beginning 7:01am

BRNR3: Cock-a-doodle-do. Time’s up.

You: Jim Purvis.

BRNR3: Oh? Who’s he?

You: Why does it matter?

BRNR3: Who’s he?

You: He was a piece of shit drunk that used to date my mother. Beat her too.

You: When I was 15 I tried to stop him. He broke my arm and then broke his hand on my head. Guess which one of us Mom stayed with at the hospital.

BRNR3: Interesting. Is he still alive?

You: Last I heard he was working upstate for a logging company.

BRNR3: Physical description?

You: Idk. Old, fat white guy?

BRNR3: Won’t your mother be sad at your choice?

You: My mother died when I was 20.

BRNR3: Did he do it?

You: No. The piece of shit left her for some bar skank he met. I think Mom died of a broken heart.

BRNR3: :)

BRNR3: I like your choice. You get to live today. Keep the phone on you and charged up. I’ll be in touch. 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets