Skip to main content

Three Days, Thirty Years Ago (Part Three)

 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RxEvoOtT2Pk/maxresdefault.jpg 

I was completely sure I had felt a zipper on that cat's stomach.

But Tommy was settling back into his armchair, his coffee cup and saucer close to his chest. Heather sipped her's next to me, then cleared her throat. "So, we were hoping we could talk to you about the events of 1980."

"1980," Tommy repeated, grinning that same manic grin. "A great year. Shame about Lennon though. My parents loved the Beatles." Heather paused. She, like me, probably couldn't tell if the strange man was joking. That is, until he let out a high-pitched, frantic giggle of a laugh. His body convulsed and his cup teetered on the china. Though this was disturbing to say the least, Heather and I both were able to work up a nervous laugh.

Tommy's cackling subsided, and he wiped an invisible tear from the corner of his eye. "I'm kidding, of course. Just a little joke." He regained his composure. "You want to know about July of 1980. What happened with me and the others, those three days, right here in Rhodes' Creek." He took another sip of coffee, and I felt myself subconsciously lean forward with anticipation. "You've read the reports, no doubt. You know what happened."

"We know what you said happened," I said, and Heather gave me a nudge. I didn't know where this sudden brashness came from. It was like the closer I felt I was to answers, the more forcefully I was willing to reach for them.

The switch-like transition came again, and Tommy's face dropped once more to a deep frown. "I don't like what you're suggesting, Mr. Singer," he said in a quiet, stern voice I hadn't heard him use. I opened my mouth to apologize, but before I could, he spoke again.

"But, you're right."

I blinked in surprise. "I am?"

Tommy solemnly nodded. "You are." Another torturously slow sip of coffee. At this point, Heather and I were on the edge of our seats on the sewn-up sofa.

"We told the police we had been lost in the woods, but that wasn't exact...true. The truth is," he paused. "I have no memory of where I was for those three days. None of us did."

The was a shock. Apart from the incredibly validating feeling of discovering that I had been right, that the report hadn't been accurate, I felt something else-- doubt. It seemed all too easy to loosen Tommy's lips. After all, this was a lie he had maintained for thirty years. Why break his story now? And why to Heather and me?

"But why lie?" Heather asked, her brow furrowed.

"I'm not quite sure that I did," He paused. "We woke up on the outskirts of the woods, with no idea that any time had passed from when we were playing together three days prior. We walked back to my house and found the place surrounded by police. I learned my dear parents were in custody for something they obviously hadn't done." Tommy shook his head. "I begged the others, before we went to the police station, to tell the story about getting lost. I didn't want any suspicion put upon my family. And, they agreed."

He took another long sip of coffee, then smiled at Heather and me. Even though I hadn't trusted the smile before, I definitely didn't now. He seemed different, somehow. He had been confident when he had found us out front, but he seemed nervous now that we were in the house and he had said his piece. He was tapping his long fingers against the side of his cup, and slightly rocking back and forth. I was surprised none of the coffee sloshed over the side.

"Wow," Heather started, "that's..." she trailed off, and I didn't blame her.

"It's quite a story," I finished for her.

"Yes, well," Tommy began, rather hastily. "We may never get the full story. Such is life." His intense blue eyes weren't looking at Heather and I anymore. Instead, they were scanning the flat white cieling above us.

I tried to inconspicuously look as well, but I couldn't see whatever it was that had his attention.

"So none of you ever remembered anything, or tried to figure it out? The others didn't want to know?" Heather asked incredulously.

"It seemed like the sort of thing that was best to be left alone," Tommy said, eyes still turned upwards. I could see beads of sweat forming on his forehead and upper lip. "there are things... things that require no explanation. Things that just are." He visibly swallowed. "Things that---"

We all jumped. There was a sound, a series of sounds, that broke the silence of the house. Three sharp, distinct knocks, coming from directly above us.

Tommy immediately jumped to his feet. "Oh," he said frantically, "Probably the cat. It likes to get into all sort of trouble."

I shuddered at the reminder of the cat. Tommy placed his cup and saucer on the nearest doily-covered table next to his armchair. "I'd better go make sure it hasn't broken anything valuable." Tommy had left the room before we could respond.

Heather and I sat on the sofa in silence as we heard his hastened footsteps fade. Then, she turned to me. "I don't buy it."

I shook my head. "Me neither."

"'I don't remember' is pretty convenient," she said, then stood up. She started walking towards the doorway.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

"It's a big house. We probably can snoop around the next room while he looks for his cat."

My nausea increased. "I don't think we should. This place is really creeping me out." I paused. "And that cat..." I considered bringing up what I thought I had felt on the cat's stomach, but decided against it. It was probably just my imagination.

Heather laughed. "What, are you afraid of cats now, too? You're not much of an intrepid reporter, Sam. Why would you even choose to pick up the Bad Habits column if you get freaked out so easily?" She had a point. Before I could retaliate, she took a step back to turn to the doorway, and her foot caught on the edge of Tommy's armchair. Her stumbled jostled the side table, knocking Tommy's cup of coffee off its saucer and onto the armchair, ruining the cream upholstery.

Except it didn't.

Heather quickly picked up the cup, try to minimize the spread of the stain-- only, there wasn't one. She looked into the cup, frowning. Then, she wordlessly tilted it towards me.

It was a prop. A ceramic cup filled with dark roast-colored plastic. A fake cup of coffee that Tommy McAfee had been pretending to sip for the entirety of our conversation.

Heather and I met eyes.

I sighed.

"Let's go check out the next room." 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets