Skip to main content

Three Days, Thirty Years Ago (Part Four)

 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RxEvoOtT2Pk/maxresdefault.jpg 

The door at the top of the stairs was blue. It was a bright, baby blue, the color of the sky outside. The stairwell however, was dark. We had found it, oddly enough, in the kitchen.

That was the next room we had decided to investigate. It was a large kitchen, which made sense, given the grand size of the house. There were large gas stoves and cavernous double sinks. An entire staff could work in that room, easy. But it looked like nothing had been touched in a long time, maybe not ever.

Except, of course, the coffee maker. It still blinked a feeble red in the corner next to the refrigerator. A refrigerator that had had opened, only to find absolutely nothing inside.

That had been disconcerting enough. Until Heather noticed the dark stairwell and the blue door.

It's very presence had sent a chill down my spine. It didn't have anything strange on its own-- but it felt strange. Until Heather had pointed it out, I hadn't noticed it. But not just not noticed it-- it was like I couldn't notice it. Like my eyes wouldn't let themselves settle on the stairwell, or travel up the steps to what lie ahead. It was like my mind wanted me to just skate over it. To stay away.

Yet here I was, staring directly up the dimly lit stairwell in the kitchen, directly at the Blue Door.

"Tommy lives alone, right?" Heather asked quietly.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure," I answered.

She frowned, then raised an arm to point up the incline. "Then why would he need that?" I followed her gesture up to what hung from the door's handle-- a large, rusted, brass padlock.

I wiped my sweating hands on my pants. "We should go back to the parlor. Tommy's probably back by now." Heather wasn't looking at me, though. Instead, she was taking one cautious step into the stairwell. Immediately, I took a step back.

She stepped from the bright lights of the kitchen, into the dark shroud of the stairwell, and I felt a sudden aversion to her. It was the way you might feel uneasy about catching just a glimpse of something just barely rising to the surface of a dark pond. I didn't like it. But I pushed the feeling out of my mind. "What are you doing?" I hissed.

She waved me back with one hand as she continued up the steps. "I just want a closer look. Tell McAfee I'm in the bathroom or something."

I hesitated. I didn't want to separate from Heather. I wish I could say it was because I didn't want her to be alone in the house, that I was worried for her. But that wasn't true. Heather could take care of herself. I just didn't want to be alone with Tommy.

"Sam, go," Heather said as she reached the top. "Before he gets suspicious." She stood there, next to the Blue Door. I swallowed the urge to tell her come back down, to get away from it.

"Fine." Then, I turned, and went back to the parlor, thinking that Heather would be fine. That I would be fine.

How naive.

Tommy was already there by the time I got back. He was sitting calmly in his armchair. He held the cup of coffee, the one I knew to be filled with plastic in his hand. His other hand was absentmindedly stroking the large, pale cat that sat in his lap. It was staring at me as I entered, and I could hear it's loud purr.

"Sorry," I said quickly, returning once more to the sewn-up sofa across from him. "I was helping Heather find the restroom."

Tommy smiled at me. "And did you find it?"

His voice sounded newly sinister, and my mind flashed to the blue door. "Yes, we found it. She should be back soon."

His smile faltered. "Doubtful."

I blinked. "Excuse me?"

My heart sped up in my chest as Tommy, still stroking the cat, slowly peered in his coffee cup and frowned. "You know, Mr. Singer," he said slowly, "Sometimes I don't feel quite like myself." Then, he very carefully tilted his cup over, until it was upside down. Nothing came out, and his frowned deepened.

"Are you okay, Mr. McAfee?" I asked, trying to keep my voice from shaking. I was extremely nauseous at this point, both because of Heather's absence, and the conversation I was having-- but there was something else. The sweet smell, the synthetic hydrangeas' scent, had suddenly gotten even stronger.

Tommy kept staring into his cup. It was as though he had just realized, for the very first time, that there was no coffee inside. "You want to talk about those three days, Mr. Singer," he said quietly, his face unusually blank. "But I don't remember. It's as if..." he paused. "It's as if I fell asleep in 1980, and I've been in a dream ever since. It's a fine dream. I am okay. But every now and then, I get a glimpse of it-- of reality." He stared even harder into his cup.

He had stopped petting the cat, and it was getting up. It's stretched, pushing its rump into the air. It lightly jumped down from Tommy's lap. It was looking at me. It started to come over. Before I could stop it, it jumped into my lap.

I didn't want to touch it. Tommy was across from me, still staring at his plastic coffee. I could see his eyes had glazed over. One small tear had begun to make its way down his cheek.

Very slowly, I started to pet the cat. It's fur felt strange, almost waxy. It was staring at me, it's expression as blank as Tommy's. With a shaking, but cautious hand, I slowly slid my hand around to its stomach.

There. There it was. There was a zipper on that cat's stomach. I traced the metallic grid that went down the length of its middle, until I felt it. The tab. I hesitated. Why would I pull it? What would happen if I did? The cat began to purr.

Suddenly, Tommy snapped his head back up. I yanked my hand out from under the cat's stomach, away from the zipper.

Though the tear was still shining wet on his cheek, Tommy's frown had bent itself back up into his earnest grin. He laughed. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Singer, I think I dozed off for a moment." I didn't know what to say. I watched as he took another sip of his fake coffee. He looked at his cup for a few seconds. "I had the strangest dream," he said cheerfully. He stared at it intently, but his facial expression didn't change.

Then, he held out his cup, and overturned it onto the floor.

A smattering of coffee fell from the cup, and onto the wooden floor. It could tell from the steam that it was still hot.

Tommy smiled fondly at the stain, then set his cup back onto the doily.

I reached my hand slowly back down, against the flesh of the rumbling cat in my lap, down to its core.

The zipper was gone. 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets