Skip to main content

Infected Town: Series Two (Part 3)

 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AjHEiWvaaLw/hqdefault.jpg 

I emailed the man I met. I pretty much drilled him with every question I could think of. What’s with the mold? The lavender? What was that thing in the basement? How can I stop it? Can we cure Lisa or the others? And on and on. The email was very long. I gave him all my contact info.

He replied a couple hours later. I copied and pasted his response here.


Re: It's Alan

From: Z <deltaseeker.z@gmail.com>

To: Alan [Redacted]

07/24/2013 1:33 PM

Alan

I know you want answers. If I was in your position, Id want them too. I cant tell you everything at the risk of losing my job though. The anonymity of the internet allows us to communicate, but I will not call the phone number you gave me and it is probable that we will never see each other again, as long as you keep your nose out of trouble.

So, bearing all of this in mind, I will answer what I can.

We are a group of people who solve problems like the one you are experiencing. Among other things, my organization has been keeping tabs on the mold phenomenon since its first documented appearance in 1788. Thats all I will say about my organization.

As for what kind of mold this is, [...]

The bag of lavender acts as a [..,]. You may not want to believe, but sometimes "mumbo jumbo," as you refer to it, [,...] We've found that lavender works well and is very cheap and easy to find.

If you don't like thinking of this as magical, you can consider this creature extremely [>>>].

However, THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN KILL IT. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO.

We have been trying for more than two hundred years. [...[; spawning again across the world is another. In a sense, we only know how to treat the symptoms, not the disease. We do not know how to kill the source. [:D]

Any attempt you make will only anger it, and it will hunt you with a vengeance. [come].

This thing can affect your brain and body in various ways. When possessed, a human [...] Eventually and invariably, the infection ends with death. Its one purpose [./.].

[.;;]. What happened with you and Elizabeth is not the norm.

There's very little hope for Jessica [Redacted], Lisa [Redacted] and Alex [Redacted]. From what Jessica wrote, we know at least one person in this case is beyond help. This thing is very clever, and it knows us well. Do not expect miracles, but let us do our job.

I read your posts on reddit.com/r/nosleep, after someone from the site emailed me asking about the "thing in the vents." It was foolish to post your story online, much less my email address. As I said, this thing is clever, and it will use [///].

[...[

I suggest you leave town with Elizabeth. We aren't your babysitters though. Your pit is only as deep as you dig it. As long as you don't fuck up our investigation, we won't have any issues. But I can't promise I'll be there to save your ass next time.

Luck.

Z


I am trying really hard not to write back to this “Z” that he and his “organization” can go fuck themselves. I know he reads this, though. So thanks so much for nothing, asshole. No solutions. No real answers. Just a couple warnings and telling me my friends are fucked and there’s nothing I can do about it? Coldly explaining that there’s “really no hope”? Telling me that there’s shit out there I don’t understand? Yeah, no shit!

FUCK YOU, Z.

I’m not saying he’s not right about the mold, or even the fucking “being” he mentioned (though that makes me think he’s fucking with me). I’m going to be careful, but I’m also going to take it with a grain of salt. He did know who I am, and he did have a few answers. But no help.

In any case, I’ll do this with or without him or his little group. If such a group even exists. Probably just a bunch of pimply hackers with too much time on their hands. Or maybe it’s just this one dude, trying to fuck with me.

That’s really all I have for you tonight. The only other thing of note was that when Elizabeth went to pick us up some Chinese for dinner, I received a text from here. Here’s what it said:


LIZZY M (6:05 PM):

 I need help.

I thought for a moment that she meant she needed help carrying the food in from the car. She’d only left five minutes ao, so that was extremely fast. I decided that couldn’t be it. I texted back.


ME (6:07 PM):

 With what?

LIZZY M (6:07 PM):

 I heilsrd you were backin townnnn

Seeing the typos made me realize: Liz didn’t have her phone. She’d lost it when she’d gone to my apartment that night, just before she’d blacked out. Seeing the apartment empty had creeped her out, and she’d heard some kind of moaning and run for it, thinking a homeless guy was squatting in my bedroom. She’d dropped her phone in the kitchen. Of course, according to Z, she’d gotten infected then or shortly before.


ME (6:08 PM):

 Who the FUCK is this?!!!

A good fifteen minutes passed. Liz returned home and I filled her in. She got very pale. Then:


LIZZY M (6:23 PM):

 This is not a fucking game Alan.

LIZZY M (6:23 PM):

 [...]

LIZZY M (6:23 PM):

 :) :0 ;) Sorry Al. Didnt mean it.

 Trust ni one. They are LYYING. Youi wikl be sorry.

LIZZY M (6:24 PM):

 Just come home.

LIZZY M(6:24 PM):

 Please come home.

Now I know how Jess felt. This may be the most significant thing that's ever happened to me. I’m going to figure this out. I need to.

 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets