Skip to main content

The Midnight Hind

 

When you approach the pub known as the Midnight Hind, you would be forgiven for thinking it is abandoned, or at the least, closed. It only operates between dusk and dawn, and the ancient leaded glass of its cross-hatched windows are so pregnant with swirling colors that, in the moonlight, they take on the dead-eyed opalescence of an oil slick.

Opening the door, most blink at the contrast between the still darkness without and the riot of light and sound within. People talking and arguing, playing cards at corner tables, and gathering around the small stage where an odd little band plays. But none of that was why I’d entered that place. I had come to play the Bar Game.

You sit at the far end of the bar facing the other player, the span of polished wood in front of you deeply etched with white lines and runes. Among these carvings, several rows of silver nails have been hammered halfway deep, and when you are bade to slide your hand in, you find that the spaces between the nails fit your fingers just perfectly. Further, regardless of the players, when both have their fingers planted between the silvery rows, their fingertips always lightly touch.

Then the game begins.

The bartender has a card he or she produces from beneath the bar. On it are three questions.

What is the best thing you have ever done?

You immediately get flooded by not only the best answer of your own heart, but that of your opponent. And it goes beyond mere telepathy. You see all the good and bad consequences of what you both did—things you could never know. This question breaks many people right away.

What is the worst thing you have ever done?

This is, almost without fail, a different answer than one expects. A buried, secret shame. It is what undid my opponent only a moment before I was going to yank my own hand free. The third question was never asked of us, but I saw it on the card.

Who are you truly?

I shuddered at the words, in part because I saw the look on my opponent’s face. I had won, so I kept the memories of my best self while my worst crimes were wiped away. Not just from my memory, but removed wholly from the world. Her penalty for losing was the truth. Not only did she keep a perfect recollection of her worst act and its effects, but she had the last question answered for her. She was irrevocably shown who she truly was, without all the self-delusions and comforting lies.

I avoided her eyes as I got up to find a cheerier corner of the pub. The bartender was gentle as he ushered her out of the bar, and while it made me uncomfortable, I understood why she couldn’t stay. After all, this was a place of light and laughter.

And the damned deserved to walk alone in the dark.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets