Skip to main content

Dewclaw

 https://media.mehrnews.com/d/2018/01/08/4/2683514.jpg 

We call it a dewclaw. It’s how you know you’re one of us.

I…ah, I see. And when you say ‘we’ call it a dewclaw…

I mean me and Mama and Daddy. And Uncle Freddy and Aunt Sandra. And, well, our whole family.

So…they all talk about that as being a dewclaw?

Yep. It’s like what my dog Roscoe has, only bigger. That’s how Mama first told it to me.

Okay. So now, who else comes around your ranch? Other than your Mama and Daddy and Uncle Freddy and Aunt Sandra.

Hmm. That’s mainly it except for Jonathan. That’s Uncle Freddy and Aunt Sandra’s son. He used to play with me when we were little, but he’s all grown up now. And he don’t come around no more anyway.

That’s Jonathan…Peterson?

Yep. That’s him.

Why doesn’t he come around any more?

I dunno…Maybe because he got mad last time. He saw me after the docking and he started crying and cursing and stuff. He said it wasn’t right. Wasn’t right what they’d done to me. He tried to talk to me, but my parents, they protected me. Daddy told me later that it wasn’t anything to worry about. Said Jonathan was just upset because his adult dewclaws hadn’t come in yet. Because he hasn’t done the Necessary.

Okay. So because I want to make sure I understand everything, let’s kind of break down some of what you’re talking about, okay?

Yes, ma’am.

So what is ‘docking’?

You don’t know that? You’re playing with me. No? Okay, if you say so. Well, docking is when you get to a certain age—with girls it’s usually when you first get your color—they have to clip off your baby dewclaws. It hurts something awful, but they have to do it so your adult dewclaws can grow in right.

Um…sorry, give me just a second.

Yes, ma’am. No need to cry about it. It hurts, but we’re made tough. We can take it.

Yes, well, that’s good. Um, you said…you said something about Jonathan’s…his adult dewclaws hadn’t come in because he hadn’t done the Necessary. What’s that?

Gosh, I thought you’d know that part for sure. Okay. Well, when one of us reaches sixteen, we have to do the Necessary. We have to kill a person and eat their heart. And it can’t be one of us. It has to be one of you. After that, our adult dewclaws grow in and we get real strong, real tough.

Okay. When you say ‘us’ and ‘one of you’, what do you mean?

Well, I mean, we’re werewolves. And you’re just a normal person, right? I don’t mean no harm, ma’am. You can’t help it. And you’re in no danger from me. I made a promise to myself a long time ago I’d only take one life, and that was for the Necessary. I just don’t feel right about it.

So the social worker, the woman who was out at your ranch yesterday. Do you know what happened to her?

I do. That lady was my Necessary. I promise, I killed her quick as I could. She didn’t scream for long, and she was dead when I took her heart…(whispering) Don’t tell, but Daddy helped me with getting it out. I had trouble holding the knife good.

So are you saying you killed that lady yourself?

Yes, ma’am.

Because she was your Necessary?

Yes, ma’am.

And your parents are the ones that…that ‘docked’ you?

Yes, ma’am.

How old were you when they did that?

Um, I was eleven going on twelve.

And they told you that you and your family are werewolves. That your…your dewclaws would grow back when you did your Necessary?

That’s right.

Okay. Have you ever been away from the ranch before today?

Sure, plenty of times. Out in the woods learning to hunt and fish and camp. I love going out there.

Well, yeah. Alright. I meant more like, have you ever been to towns or cities. Places like where you are now. Not this building, I don’t mean that. But you saw all the cars and people on the way in, right?

Yes, ma’am.

Have you ever been around anything like that? Been to school or talked to people other than your family?

No, ma’am. Mama told me it wasn’t safe for our kind to mix too much until we’re grown. They taught me themselves, and they did a real good job. But I am excited about getting to meet more people. I think I’m more excited about that than I am getting so strong and tough when my dewclaws come back in.

So, what di-

When do you think that’ll happen, ma’am?

When do I think what will happen, honey?

When do you think my dewclaws will grow back? I woke up last night because the spots were itching, and I was so excited I could hardly go back to sleep. But when I got up today, they were just the same. Do you know when they’ll come back?

I…I don’t know, baby. I guess I don’t know a lot about werewolves and dewclaws and stuff. I’m sorry.

Oh, it’s okay. I bet it’ll be soon. Hey, what do you call them?

What do I call what?

Your dewclaws. I mean, I know they’re not for-real dewclaws like mine if you’re just a regular person, but you didn’t know to call them that, so you must call them something else. So what do you call them?

Thumbs, baby. We call them thumbs.

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets