Skip to main content

At The End

 

What follows is submitted as is without explanation beyond the circumstances of its discovery, as no further explanation is available. These notes were found in the bottom of an unexpectedly empty grave that was excavated last year as part of a project to transfer all remains from a 17th century cemetery to a new location to make way for a new interstate project. There was no grave marker, but original plot maps showed a burial at the location, and digging did unearth a well-made coffin that would have been expensive at the time of its creation. The identity of the interred, where the remnants of the corpse or cremains went, and who actually authored the pages left behind in the surprisingly intact and clean coffin are all a mystery.


Fire burns. It peels away the flesh as it licks, licks, licks with a rough tongue that always takes takes takes. I feel myself crying, but I know my tears are rising, steaming into the air, dancing with the wind as they are carried away from me. Tears and ashes, fluttering in my vision as my eyes go black with the smoke.

I hear someone singing to me.


“Who are you talking to, honey?”

I look up at my mother’s weathered face, her kind eyes concerned, her austere mouth turned downward. Swallowing, I bleat a lie, holding my breath as she regards me quietly, almost tenderly. She knows I have a secret, but says nothing for now, trusting that time and love will bring out the truth eventually.

That trust is reasonable, and as I stare into her quiet gaze, I almost speak the truth. Then [DELETED] speaks to me in that sly, whispery way it has, knowing only I can hear it, reminding me of how special I am. It is a worm in my heart, but it is my worm, it is my heart. It is my secret.

I lower my eyes.


People are getting sick. I hear more and more stories of businesses closing due to illness, and the streets grow grey and empty as summer fades away. [DELETED] tells me not to worry. I won’t get sick. I won’t die.

It has so much to teach me, it says. It can teach me to never get sick or age or hurt. It can help me live…not forever, because [DELETED] says there’s no such thing, but for a long, long time. Centuries.

More.

I think I saw a dead man in an alleyway today. He seemed familiar.


I shudder from the cold when I awake. The coldness of the dew-laden ground beneath me, and the coldness of the stars that fill the sky above. The chill of the hour has settled into my bones, and I wince at every movement as I sit up and look around.

Thirty head of cattle roamed this two-acre pasture, grazing absently during the day and sleeping close together at night. Now they lay around me, their eyes black with blood and their oddly delicate mouths still cradling the foam and bile that frothed from the animals moments ago. Even in death they look terrified.

[DELETED] tells me that this is a start. A good start. There is power in blood, and even more in fear.

I see a calf still thrashing in the dirt, and I move to help it. But [DELETED] reminds me of the strides I have made. It would be a shame to lose such progress, particularly when killing this animal would be a mercy.

I step on the calf until it finally lay still and silent.


Tying knots, tying knots, back and forth the weaves go, wrapping the strands of the lock of hair around the bone until it is hard to say where one ends and the other begins. I could have used a snake’s skull to poison her or a bird’s ribcage to make her drown. But I don’t care about killing her.

She made fun of me in front of the other girls. She thinks she is better than me—better than everyone. I don’t care about death.

I care about pain.


My mother slapped me when she found the bone. She told me how dangerous such things are, as though I was still a child. Then she noticed the color of the hair. She began screaming at me, asking if I knew anything about what had happened to my classmate. If I knew why she had been screaming and thrashing about like a lunatic for the last two days. She asked if I did anything to the girl.

I just smiled and said nothing. [DELETED] laughed and laughed and laughed.


The air burns in my lungs, and I struggle to keep steady. It is so hard, so desperate, to think even the simplest of thoughts with so much pain. I see my mother in the crowd and I have time to hate her before the song takes me away again. [DELETED] has a strong and clear voice, and while the words are strange and unknowable, I find myself comforted for a moment.

Then the singing is done, replaced by the deep and ringing laughter I have come to love so much. It lends the moment clarity. As I slump against the burning ropes that hold me, I question why things have turned out as they have. This is not the glorious future I had been promised.

Why would [DELETED] let this happen? What was the point, if it was all going to end in fire? In death?

The laughter has stopped, and I know I am truly alone for the first time in years. The flames eat me in greedy gulps now, done with the licking and on to the biting. I would scream if I could breathe. It hurts.

It hurts.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets