Skip to main content

Ears, Nose, and Throat


I woke up Monday morning with a little bit of a tickle in the back of my throat. We’re all familiar with that wonderfully non-specific symptom that can mean you have a cold or are suffering from allergies or you’re going to die next week. I assumed it was my seasonal allergies acting up so I started my Monday off with a heaping helping of antihistamines.

They didn’t end up working and I resigned myself to becoming sick with something truly awful sooner rather than later. I could only hope that I got better quickly because I was unreasonably busy at work. Those TPS reports weren’t going to file themselves.

On Tuesday I tried to ignore it the best I could but I could feel this growing, throbbing pain beginning to accompany the nearly constant tickling. I tried to cough it out but had no luck. I began to think it was a sinus infection which was just wonderful. I usually get one or two a year but apparently this was my lucky year because it was number 3. As I sat at my desk I vaguely wondered if I should call a doctor but decided to tough it out because I’m an idiot.

Wednesday came and I decided to call a doctor. There was no way this was going away on its own. I also was beginning to think it wasn’t a normal sinus infection. If you’ve ever had one you’d know the mucus that comes out of your face is generally greenish and pus like. The stuff coming out of me wasn’t even remotely similar. It was more viscous and slimy. It was also perfectly clear. There was also this strange crunchy and crackling sound constantly in my ears. It was almost as if someone had pumped puffed rice cereal into my sinuses. I’d never experienced something like that before and a strange symptom was less than comforting. Luckily my ENT had an appointment Friday morning so I could get this awfulness taken care of.

I called out Thursday and spent the day thrashing around in bed trying to sleep despite the constant crackling roaring through my head and tickling in my throat.

Friday morning I crawled out of bed feeling not great but not as bad as I had felt Thursday. The tickling in my throat had become less and it seemed that there was very little mucus coming, the crackling was less loud, and the throbbing feeling had stopped. I almost cancelled my appointment, thinking it was stupid to waste my doctor’s time on what may have just been a cold.

I went anyway. I was informed that there was a 25 dollar cancellation fee when you cancel less than 24 hours before the appointment. Since my copay was cheaper and I already had the day off I just said “screw it” and decided to waste the doctor’s time.

As I sat in the waiting room my nose started to feel stuffy, but the crackling and tickling had almost completely stopped. It became worse and worse until the pressure was almost too much. I quickly scanned the waiting room for a tissue and spotted a box us on the far edge of the front desk. I went up and grabbed a few sheets and returned to my seat.

I blew my nose. Suddenly there was sweet, sweet relief. All the stuffiness, all the pain, all the tickling, all of the crackling, they were gone completely. I felt wonderful. I was almost ready to take the 25 dollar hit to cancel the appointment and stroll on out and grab some breakfast; then I looked at the tissue.

Pupae. Hundreds and hundreds of pupae lie in the tissue along with some of their younger squirming maggot brothers. I was too shocked for words but I wasn’t too shocked to scream.


Credits to: photofreecreepypasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets