Skip to main content

Memory




I walked into my living room to get my phone from the windowsill. I almost forgot it, again. No surprise there. I walked from my kitchen, over the small step careful not to trip and walked quickly to the living room door. I hastily grabbed the handle, already running late for school from oversleeping. Again. Everyone was waiting in the car for me, holding them all up again. Why I never learn, I don’t know. I turned the door handle to the right and pushed hard on the door as it’s stiff to open. As I walked in, head down, I turned to push the door shut. I turned back round and that’s when I saw it.

A creature, looking to be around six and a half foot tall when stood up to its full height. Pale white skin covering its skeletal form, a living bag of bones. Thin, sporadic white hairs were coating this creature’s body. It stood crouched, its knees bent as if it was waiting to pounce. It was hunched over, the ribs sickeningly visible beneath its paper skin, every last one. It’s arms were long and the hands curled at the knuckles when they touched the floor. It had sharp claws, at least two inches long, stained the dark reddy brown colour of dried blood. I looked at its face and that’s where I saw the grotesque creature for what it was. A vampire. Not one of those sparkly human vampires you see on television. This was a monster, a creature from the depths of hell itself.

Those slitted, blood red eyes were locked onto my throat, its mouth was hanging open slightly, exposing its rows of sharp, blood tainted teeth in a wicked and evil smile. It watched me, studied me, and I felt an icy coldness deep in my stomach. It made a guttural snarl and the fear set itself deep inside me.

I tried to turn, to run, to scream but nothing happened. On the inside, I was panicking. I had never felt a fear as intense as the one I felt then. Inside I was screaming at my legs to move. Outside, I was frozen to the spot, unable to muster even a whimper of sound.

The vampire stood a bit straighter and lurked towards me, those terrible eyes never leaving mine. I couldn’t move, couldn’t speak, couldn’t look away. It approached me slowly, as a wolf stalks its prey. It lifted its hand and put it on my left shoulder, reaching itself up to look me dead in the eye, face to face. It studied me and I studied it. I felt the terror sink in and so did the vampire. My pulse quickened and it smiled slightly, flashing those wicked teeth. I felt its hand go to the back of my head and grab my hair, leaning my head back and exposing my throat. Its hands were cold.

It tilted its head and went level with my neck. I felt its mouth open, its breath was hot on my skin. I felt its tongue, thin and cold running over my neck. My pulse quickened even more and the vampire’s tongue ran across my neck even quicker, excitedly, seeking the artery to my brain. I felt panic set in, a cold, dark thing invading my body’s warmth.

I wanted to scream, to run from this monstrosity and yet all I could do was stand there, shaking in fear and breaking out in a cold sweat. My breathing was fast and shallow, my heart thumping hard in my chest.

The vampire’s mouth opened wide enough to bite my neck and I felt its hot breath against my skin, its tongue stopped on the artery. And it was then I found out that not all vampires feed on blood.

Some feed on memories.

I felt a dark presence in my mind, sifting through the memories I’ve kept since I were a child. My eyes closed and I felt the vampire slowly draining my more recent, unimportant memories. The terror, the pure, cold, instinctive fear in my chest was being drained away until I no longer felt cold, no longer felt scared.

I opened my eyes and looked around the empty room. I felt an odd sensation, as if my heart had just lurched in my chest and a chill ran down my spine.

Have you ever seen a vampire? Have you ever felt the cold, sheer fear they set deep in your chest as they come closer to your body, frozen with fear and at its mercy?

No?

Then perhaps I should rephrase this…

Have you ever walked in to a room and forgotten why?

Credits to: Pineapple

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets