Skip to main content

Mister


When I was seven, I had a best friend named John. Every night John would ask to stay over at my house, of course I said yes. But as a normal seven year old, I got bored of doing the same thing. So I asked John if we could spend the night at his house instead of mine. A look of fear flashed in his eyes, and he hesitated before saying no, I obviously begged and pestered him before he finally said yes.

Throughout the day leading up to me sleeping over, John had been very quiet and nervous. After school, I went home to get my clothes and toothbrush, and John had begged me if we could please just spend the night at my house, I laughed and joked around that he just didn’t want me to see how messy his room was.

The night had been going good, we had stayed up till 1 AM and I was getting sleepy, so I had asked John if we could go to sleep.

He gave me a nervous look again but nodded his head. As I was getting into my sleeping bag, John turned up the TV as loud as it could possibly go and just stared at the TV. I turned the TV off and that’s when I heard it. It sounded like someone.. something was scraping the floor above us. Then it spoke, not loudly, but a quiet raspy whisper, "Come up and play with me, John, it’s been sooo long since you’ve came up here.. I miss you.. We miss you..”

I started crying and John hushed me and told me to get into my sleeping bag and be quiet. I later fell asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and started feeling around for my glasses, but then I heard raspy breathing next to me.. Everything was blurry but I could see this dark figure perched over John, just breathing and staring at him. It looked back at me and that’s all I remember.
Me and John didn’t speak after that. We went through all of junior high and almost high school without speaking. On my senior year, John came running up to me, and he looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks and had bruises in every place imaginable. He was begging me to let him stay at my house, but I made up some excuse because I really didn’t know him anymore.

The thing is, John committed suicide that night. His parents contacted me and said they wanted me to pack up his things because it was too difficult for them. I understood and went through his things while packing them into boxes. He had kept endless journals of his life. I found the last entry and here it is:
“Mister has been watching me and -scribbles- keeps whispering and doesn’t stop shh shhh he can hear me I don’t know what is going on I can’t breathe -scribbles- goodbye”

After the last entry, this is the only picture John had drawn of “Mister”.

------
via: eeriie.tumblr.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets