Skip to main content

Emphasis


It's funny, how the emphasis in a sentence can completely change its meaning. I remember the example I read; I never said she stole my money. You can put the emphasis on any of the words in the sentence, and it will have seven different meanings when you're done.

So now I'm lying in bed, listening to the footsteps downstairs and thinking I didn't forget to lock the front door emphatically


I remember that I said that to my wife the other day, when she found it unlocked in the morning, but the emphasis was different. It was: I didn't forget to lock the front door. There was an implication that it was her who forgot, and she sure as hell picked up on it. Didn't speak to me for the rest of the day.

The footsteps are in the kitchen, directly below our room, and I can hear a murmuring of voices. There are at least two of them. But I didn't forget to lock the door. How did they get in? Well, I didn't forget to lock the front door ... but maybe I forgot to lock the window. I didn't forget to lock the front door ... but maybe I forgot to bolt it.

There was a report last week about two armed, violent fugitives who escaped from the penitentiary in the next town over. People have reported hearing things in their gardens at night. That's why my wife's been so concerned over the door in the first place.

Could it be them? I get out of bed as quietly as possible, trying to avoid waking my wife. She's a heavy sleeper, and I think it's better that she sleeps through this. I creep silently down the stairs, avoiding the third step - it always creaks in cold weather. Then I slip through the hallway and try the door. It swings open slowly.


Maybe my wife was right after all. I glance back into the house. Those men won't stay in the kitchen for long. Soon they'll move upstairs, and they'll find the rest of my family. God only knows what they'll do then - I can barely bring myself to imagine it. I don't have much time before they climb the stairs and find my nagging wife and the infant son I suspect isn't mine. I'm not blind. I've seen the way she looks at the other guys in the village. I can see that the boy doesn't look a thing like me. Now isn't the time to get distracted, I know, but the suspicion is driving me crazy.


I creep out into the night, mentally rehearsing what I'll say to the police.

Maybe I didn't forget to lock the front door. Or maybe I didn't forget to lock the front door.

Well, I know what I won't say, though it's the only one that's the truth;

I've been waiting for them to try our house.

I didn't forget to lock the front door.



---

By reddit user acingit via: reddit.com/r/shortscarystories

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets