Skip to main content

It Has My Son




I’m typing this out from inside a hole in my backyard. It’s snowing and I’m losing feeling in my fingertips. I don’t have much time.

Some background info: every month for six months, a child would get abducted from my neighborhood. Like clockwork, every month a child would just disappear straight out of their beds. No sign of forced entry, no sightings of strange people reported by anyone, no evidence left behind by the intruder; just gone overnight. The strangest part about it is that the parents of the children who were abducted didn’t even seem to care. They carried on with their lives as usual, acting like the loss of their child was just another everyday occurrence.

Tonight, after reading Jasper his bedtime story, I decided to go for a quick jog around my neighborhood. I felt fairly – foolishly – comfortable about leaving Jas alone in the house; I would only be going up and down the street so I’d definitely notice if anyone approached the house, and there hadn’t been a disappearance for almost three months, so I wasn’t worried about it. So I laced up my shoes, put my phone in my pocket, and set out.

About forty minutes into my jog, all the lights in the neighborhood suddenly went off and I was submerged in pitch blackness. I didn’t think anything of it; a tree had fallen on a major power line recently so we were subjected to random power outages that usually lasted a couple minutes. Sure enough, five minutes later the houses lit back up and the streetlamps started turning on one by one. As the last streetlamp – the one less than five feet away from me – flickered back on, I stopped dead in my tracks.

Standing under the streetlamp was a thing; no other word could describe it. It stood at almost seven feet tall, with appendages that seemed to be arms and legs, and it was made of some sort of grey liquidy-looking substance that bubbled and bulged as if there was something squirming trapped beneath the surface. It had a throbbing yellow orb in the middle of its body that seemed to be looking right at me. I watched in horror as it emitted a disgusting wet sound like someone retching, except a hundred times louder and more terrifying.

Now, I’m not a woman who scares easy – I go to /r/nosleep for bedtime stories. But I will admit, at this point I turned tail and ran like a bat out of hell. I got through my front door in record time and proceeded to bolt every door, lock every window and draw every curtain in the house. I peeked out of the peephole and was relieved to find nothing. I felt calm for a split second, then I heard the sound of a door opening from upstairs and felt my stomach drop.

I forgot to check on Jasper.

I ran upstairs and skidded to a halt outside Jasper’s room. He was curled up with Mr. Frog in his racecar bed, sound asleep with a peaceful expression on his tiny face. And towering over him was it.

I guess I must have whimpered or something because it turned to look at me, making that awful noise again. I tried to make a run around it to grab Jasper, but I was too slow. It grabbed my neck and started dragging me across the hall and down the stairs. I screamed and kicked and punched, but to no avail; while the skin itself was slimy like rotting flesh, it was hard as a concrete block underneath.

It managed to open the front door and take me outside to the backyard. It was carrying me towards the big hole that was going to be our new swimming pool. I tried screaming louder, but its grip on my neck was too strong and I could barely breathe. Just when I was about to pass out from lack of oxygen it released me, and I felt fleeting relief before I smashed into the bottom of the hole.

I’ve been lying in here since. Thankfully I remembered my phone in my pocket (mostly undamaged from the fall) and am typing this out in hopes that someone from my neighborhood will find this and find out the truth. I don’t know how long it’s been; it’s still dark, so it can’t have been more than a few hours. When I hit the bottom, I felt a crack of excruciating pain, then sudden numbness from the waist down; I can’t feel or move my legs. It’s so cold out and I’m losing consciousness. I am going to die soon, I know that, but that isn’t what scares me the most.

What scares me the most is that when it threw me down into the hole I saw its fluid skin moving and flowing until I was staring up at an exact replica of myself. Then it smiled, a dead, unnatural smile, and went back into the house for my son.


Credits to: mariams99

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets