Skip to main content

He Still Calls




There’s nothing I can do. I feel so helpless and am really desperate. So, here I am. I guess, I’ll start from the beginning.

I’m 26, and my boyfriend, whom I’ll call “Matt”, has been my boyfriend since I was 17. I love him so much, and we rarely had fights. We would get married, if it were legal yet. He was even there when I came out to my parents, holding my hand. They were supportive, but I’m not sure if I could’ve done it without him.

Sorry, I’m rambling.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, Matt and I decided to drive to the countryside for the weekend. We left on Saturday morning, arrived at the hotel at noon, and walked the seemingly endless fields. It may sound boring, but we both liked that kind of thing. It wasn’t even planned, we just saw the field, parked the car on the side of the empty highway and took a look. There was a fence, and I was reluctant getting into potential trouble with the land owner, or the law. Matt tried to ease my tension by rewording my claims of trespassing to “adventure”.

It was about 6pm when we got back to the car. I guess this because the sun had already set. We both were getting creeped out by the ever growing surreal nature of the area. It was almost like the land and sky were… warping. I don’t know the right word. Anyway, Matt put the key in the ignition, and in the typical horror movie fashion, the car wouldn’t start.

Out of gas.

The nearby town was only half a kilometre away, and so Matt suggested walking. I didn’t want to go out into that creepy, and… warping world. Matt then suggested that he walk to the town, and I stay nearby the car in case of any passing cars.

What a stupid fucking idea. I should’ve gone with him. It wouldn’t have done anything, but at least he wouldn’t be alone.

"Keep your phone on you", he said in a calm voice. I still remember those very words exactly how it was said. Along with, "It’ll be okay, alright? I love you", he reassured me noticing my unease. He then kissed my forehead, and walked out and away from the car.

That’s the last I saw of him.

I then proceeded onto the internet on my phone. I remember I was watching a youtube video of my friend of mine’s gig that I missed when I got the first call.

"Hi, you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, haven’t got there yet", he replied with a little unease in his voice.

"Just a little creeped out by the whole thing", he added.

"Whole thing?" I asked.

"Oh you know, the whole… walking on an empty road on a dark creepy night while all alone thing" he humourously replied with a chuckle. I laughed, but was also a little worried because I could hear how uncomfortable he sounded.

"You sure you’re okay? I could catch up with you if you -"

"No", he interrupted in a authoritative manner.

"You stay there. I’ll call you back when I get there. Love ya" he said in a more cheery tone. He hung up and I returned to my friend’s gig.

I remember when he called me the second time too. It was when my friend failingly tried to smash his guitar, then proceeding to throw it against the wall out of frustration and I openly laughed. As the phone rang, I looked at the time. My smile instantly dropped.

"10:03 pm"

I instantly picked up.

"Hi babe, are you okay?" I practically was shouting down the phone in worry.

"I… Have any cars passed yet?" he asked in a shaky voice, dismissing my question.

"N… No. Are you still on the road?" I hesitantly replied. Matt sighed.

"Yeah", filled with disappointment.

"Look, just come back. It’s clearly further than we thought. We’ll deal with it in the morning", I suggested. Matt opposed.

"I’ve gotten this far, may as well keep going. Though, the sky is kind of freaking me out", he admitted. I looked out the window, and the once warping sky now seemed back to normal.

"The sky?" I asked confused.

"Yeah, it’s like from Van Gogh, you know? Except… I don’t know", he said struggling to find the right word in his vocabulary to describe what he was seeing.

"Did we drink today, but I just can’t remember or something?", he chuckled.

What could I do? Matt was hours away, and was evidently lost. I was trying to think of something when Matt interrupted my thoughts, "Hey… Can you stay on? I just, uh… I kind of…" he whispered with slight embarrassment.

"You’re scared?" I cut through his murmuring.

"… Please don’t laugh at me", he softly pleaded.

"Aww, don’t worry. I’d be pissing my pants."

"Just give me a couple of hours and we’ll see."

So I stayed on, and I described my friend’s gig, and that seemed to comfort him. I was in the middle of talking, when he I heard him scream.

"What’s wrong?!" I shout.

There was brief silence, before he whispered, "… Thought I saw something."

"What?" I asked in a slightly calmer tone.

"It… Never mind. It just an animal or something", he whispered slightly louder.

"Maybe it was a ghost, or a demon, or maybe even Satan himself!" I joked in a "spooky" voice, thinking that would help for some reason.

"Thank you for trying to comfort me", he sarcastically said.

"It’s what I’m here for, babe", I said. So things went that way for who-knows-how-long, before I saw a pair of headlights behind me. I jumped out of the car and waved my hands in the air like those inflatable, stick figure mascots you find outside car dealerships.

Matt was ecstatic when I told him. It was an elderly couple heading back to the town after spending the week with their grandchildren. They pulled over and before I even could say hi, the elderly woman said, "Need a lift back to the town, dear?" in the gentlest voice I think I’ve ever heard.

I told her I did, and got in the car. I told them about Matt (But left out the whole gay thing, in case it being a deal breaker), and when I said how long he had been walking, the man driving cut me off by shouting, "What? Nonsense! The town is maximum 15 minutes from here if you walk. I jog here and back every morning!

"No you don’t, Henry", his wife cuts in.

"Okay, every few weeks", the man concedes. I wasn’t paying attention much beyond that because of what he said.

15 minutes, maximum. Oh god, where did Matt go to?

"Did he say what I think he said?" Matt asks, evidently as alarmed as I was. I told him he did. There was brief silence, before he started cursing.

"Oh for fuck’s sake! Fuck, shit, fuck, where am I!" he vented.

"I swear I followed the road, strictly. How the fu-" he paused. Another silence. I end it with, "Matt?"

"T-there’s s-something… watching me", he said as quietly as he could. I could hear he was terrified.

"What? What’s watching you?" I ask, concern never lifting. If anything, it increased.

"… I don’t k-know… I can’t see i-it’s body. But, it’s… it’s eyes… they’re yellow", he said on the brink of tears.

"It’s probably just a cat", I said, trying to comfort him. At that moment, there was a scream. The only way I can describe it is that it was like a fox screaming for its life, except this scream was far more aggressive and offensive, rather than defensive.

"…I d-don’t thi-think so…" he whispered, but the terror in it was very much audible. The scream occurred again, but was quickly overcome by Matt’s scream. Shortly after, the call was cut off. I was frozen. I tried calling back, but it went straight to voicemail. So what did I do? I just sat there, trying to comprehend and worrying about the safety of Matt.

"What on earth was that? Is your friend alright?" the lady asked, clearly had heard the screaming. I didn’t know what to say, but I managed to ask them to take me to the town’s police station. We didn’t speak for the rest of the ride.

After about 5 minutes, just like the man said, the lights of the town appeared. My emotions were mixed with relief, concern and fear.

They dropped me off at the police station, and before I stepped out of the car and thanked them, the lady said, "I hope everything turns out to be okay", then she smiled.

Despite the situation, her warmth managed to give me a smile. The man just gave me a pat on back as I was leaving the car and said, "Good luck, son."

I told the police everything (Except the trespassing), and they started searching. I came with them, but we found what I expected deep down:

Nothing. But, I thought, it was better than finding a mutilated body.

They suggested I stay at the local hotel, and they’ll keep searching. I was reluctant at first, but then I agreed. Not sure why, I just felt like it was the thing to do.

So, I did. I booked a room, and headed to it. As I unlocked the door, my phone started to ring. I looked at the caller ID and picked up immediately.

"Matt?! Are you okay?!". I heard nothing but irregular breathing at first, but then I realized what it was. It was Matt crying. I was about to speak before he said,

"… W-where are y-you?" He quietly asked in between tears again. The pain and desperation in his voice tugged at my heart, like someone just grabbed it and squeezed as hard as they could. It wasn’t long before tears started rolling down my face as well.

"W-we were looking for you. We drove down and saw no one. The cops are now looking" I was babbling, but then he cut me off with,

"… They… are so… angry…" I didn’t need to ask who he was talking about. Or rather, what he was talking about. He broke down again.

"I… love you… so much", he blurred out. I told him I loved him too, and we both cried.

So, now here we are. It’s been 2 weeks, police haven’t found him, and he calls either in tears, or running from whatever is chase him, begging for help. I haven’t told the police he still calls. I know they’re just gonna take it away or something. I can’t do that.

I know whatever happened, and wherever he is, it’s probably beyond their reach or technology. This phone is the only thing connecting us two together, and connecting him to this world. I love him so much, and I miss him so much. As I type this, he’s on the phone with me. He’s got a message for you guys. I can hear the screams in the background. The message is this:

"HELP ME, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE."


Credits to: Infamous_Harry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets