Skip to main content

The Graveyard Bell


I put my frozen hands over my mouth and blew steaming breath into them as I walked through the misty cemetery, a dense fog pouring into the half-open door of the church. Stumbling blindly down the graveyard path, I instinctively reached my hand out to guide me, but shivered when it fell upon a gravestone. I drew my hand away and kept marching,

Am I even going the right way?

I looked up at the night sky and watched dense clouds envelop the moon, taking the eerie glow from the mist, but also cutting off my sole supply of light. I shivered again. Strong winds whipped my face and wound their way into my open coat, steering me off course. Cold and disorientated, I spun on the spot to find any glimmer of light to show me the way to the gates, and as I focused I heard it.

Ringing.

The unmistakeable ringing of a bell. Frantic, panicked ringing. I followed the sound desperately, tripping over graves, trampling flowers and knocking over crosses, and where it was loudest I crouched down. There was a sparkle of brass in the darkness, and immediately I put the pieces together.

A safety coffin.

The wind dropped but the ringing continued, faster than before.

Somebody was buried alive.

Wasting no time, I fumbled on the ground on my hands and knees, clawing at clumps of soil above a coffin containing somebody slowly dying. Eventually, after crawling for several yards I came across a broken down shack. Quickly, I broke down the door and grabbed the largest shovel I could find and ran back to the loud ringing.

Shovel after shovel of soil was dislodged, and I kept shouting It’s okay! Hold on! Not caring if he heard me or not.

Eventually my spade thudded against the coffin lid, and I screamed with relief and delight, and hammered at it with the shovel with all of my might. The muffled banging and crying on the other side of the wood became so loud with every cracking of the spade against the lid. I had smashed the lid to splinters, and was about to lift off the shattered remains of the coffin when I was dragged out of the grave. I shrieked as loud as I could, but a large hand stifled my cries. My head was jerked sideways and I was suddenly face to face with the groundskeeper. He put his finger to his lips and hushed me. He released his grip and began pushing the mounds of soil back onto the coffin.

I shouted, outraged

What are you doing? There’s somebody down there!

He scowled at me and shook his head. After he had patted the remainder of the dirt flat atop the grave, he turned back to me, and I considered screaming again. He reached into his pocket and my heart stopped. Slowly, but surely, he produced a large grey object from his coat pocket, and angled it straight at me.

Click

The light of the torch flooded through the churchyard, nearly blinding me. Aiming it at the gravestone, he gestured to me to read the inscription on what was before a dark, blank gravestone.

Victor Shaw
Beloved husband, son and brother
1902-1958
He will be missed


Credits to: http://birthdaypigeon.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets