Skip to main content

Summer of 2004


The house my family and I grew up in was a really disturbing place. Completely normal-looking both inside and out, and yet the feel of the interior was never quite right. Even though it isn’t true, the most correct way that I feel for describing the house is that the dust refused to settle - even the dust wanted to be far away.

We all experienced the simple scares: doors opening or closing; lights turning off and on; unceasing footfalls throughout the house with nobody else around; finding items moved without anyone to offer explanation.
And then there were the singular events that went beyond: watching the radio tuning itself up and down the FM band, then the light turning itself off, then the physical attack; the shower curtain pulling itself open in an otherwise vacant room; drawers and cabinets opening themselves to cause a moment’s terror.

All of this and more I simply grew up with. They were generally causes of alarm and confusion, rarely raw fear. But when I was 16, one night went so far beyond what I’d grown to ignore finally convinced me that the house itself was evil, and that I needed to escape forever.

I had already been forced out of my room. I wasn’t allowed to sleep upstairs at all. I tried sleeping in the kitchen but it found me there. The basement was no refuge. Night after night I fought against sleep and scrambled to find a safe corner where I might hide. Hell, I even slept in the dog kennel and the kitchen pantry.

Finally, I settled on the front living room. Up until this decision I had not considered it an option, seeing as the stairs leading up ended in the living room, and in the dark silence of those nights I would lay awake, staring up and into that miserable little void that pressed down into my space. But nothing happened. I convinced myself that the living room, with its peaceful view of the outside world beyond and silvery glow of the moon as a night light…. I convinced myself that this room was safe.

A few nights went by. The family cat, Scamper, put aside our longstanding rivalry and deemed me worthy to be her bed. This interaction would be our first and last experience with one another. She and I had been enemies for ten years prior to this, always scrambling to be not-quite-the-littlest-family-member.

Of course the worst would come after all of this. Of course I should have seen it coming.

As memories tend to go, I don’t remember the events leading up to this culmination. My memory begins with the lamp already turned off, Scamper already kneading away on my chest. And then it starts. It starts with her. Her ears prick up, her hair pulls tight, her claws come forth and grip my chest. She hisses at nothing, her attention focusing entirely upon the staircase. Just a single moment later and I am slammed by the same emotion that seems to have hit her: terrified.

At no time before and no time sense have I felt it appropriate to describe anything in the way I am about to describe this. A presence of pure, radiating evil came down those stairs and into that living room. (I am tearing up while writing this. Seriously.) As I felt it come into the room, Scamper screamed and tried to leap off of me and run away… but I couldn’t let her. I didn’t have the courage to face this attack alone, so I grabbed her in my arms and squeezed her to my chest, completely oblivious to her scratching and biting.

The presence came closer. I couldn’t see it, I couldn’t hear it, but I tasted it, I smelled it, I felt it. What it did goes beyond words (or I just don’t have the right ones)… for that entire night, I was tortured in my mind and in my heart; I was forced to watch and bear witness to the absolute most horrific actions capable by man… I saw murders and rapes and eating and burning and bodies and blood everywhere all the time and fires and ropes and bombs over and over and over. I couldn’t fall asleep, I couldn’t move, I couldn’t even cry.

And then it was morning, it was over. I didn’t talk for a few days. And then I told my mom about it and convinced her it was about time to move. I’ve never been back.

Credit to Reddit user menace64

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets