Skip to main content

I Hate Eating

 


Nothing but raw meat for months now. Though, that’s not the worst part. No, that’s the bones and the teeth…they cut your throat on the way down. I’m sick to my stomach all the time, but I can’t vomit.

Day in and day out…it’s always the same. The chasing, the screaming, the inevitable silence…then only punctuated by the squelching of our mouths masticating flesh. I see it in the other’s eyes too, we’re all disgusted with ourselves. Some still weep while they chew…I got over that weeks ago.

Before I was bitten, I did everything in my power to stay alive. Kept my wife and I locked up safe in the basement. We survived the initial wave, but eventually ran out of food, and I needed to go out for supplies.

They snuck up on me in the supermarket. Having found a few cans of beans, I was so excited that I let my guard down…just for a second. Once I felt the teeth sink into my arm, I knew it was over. 100% infection rate, no cure, no immunity…I’d told my wife that if I was compromised, I wouldn’t come back, that I would never risk her safety.

I reached for my gun…had it nearly pointed at my head when one of them grabbed my arm and stopped me. They pinned me to the ground and just waited for it to take over. It doesn’t share its “thoughts” with me, so I still don’t fully understand its actions, but what I have figured out is that those that are healthy and strong become new hosts. Those that are old, weak, injured, many women…most children…become food.

It was several hours before I heard her voice. “Ben?! Ben, where are you?!”

NO! I told her to stay put! Never to come looking for me!

Desperately, I tried to call out to her, to tell her to run. But I was no longer in control of my vocal cords…no longer in control of anything. In horror, I watched my own body rise from the ground and follow the others in her direction.

She tried to flee…but she wasn’t quick enough…we caught her in seconds. I still hear her screaming every night, and see myself tearing holes in her beautiful face.

Now, I wish for death every day. Every time we find a new group of survivors, I pray one of them will finally put a bullet in my head. Blow me up, crush my skull…anything to stop this madness.

Today, I thought I might get lucky. We came across a heavily fortified house, and I watched several of my compatriots fall to booby traps on the perimeter. Unfortunately, I was with the group that breached the door.

He stopped a few of us before he ran out of ammo, but inevitably, we overwhelmed him and held him in place. Strong…a new host.

At least no feeding for now.

Then I heard a child whimper in the next room.

My head turned. 

----

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets