Skip to main content

I am the Second Cynthia

https://c.wallhere.com/photos/2b/06/anime_anime_girls_digital_art_artwork_portrait_portrait_display_vertical_petite-2184995.jpg!d

Have you watched that new series? ”Coincidences”. What a stupid name.

It was no coincidence he resembled Ted Bundy, even if they portrayed it that way. He'd studied Ted Bundy's behaviour for the sole reason of replicating it. He was charmed by the idea of hunting people with pretended harmlessness.

A coincidence means that two or more things, despite happening independently of each other, add up to something for someone. A coincidence was that all three of us happened to be called Cynthia.

Nobody ever realised this, because it was so exciting. The "Cynthia Killer" made such delicious headlines. But in reality, he didn't even know our names before the police came asking questions. The directors of the show made up some sob story about his ”childhood love” called Cynthia, as a weak explanation for why he was so interested in us. But he only chose us because he thought he could get away with killing us.

And he did.

The evidence against him was extensive. He was the prime suspect, and later the only one. The police spent years searching and interrogating, and everyone was certain it was him. But he never confessed, and our bodies were never found. Nobody could prove we were dead. So he walked out a free man.

And now people are buying subscriptions to see Coincidences, portraying the tragic story of a hurt little boy who grew up to be accused of a triple murder just because he cOiNciDEnTaLLy resembled a famous psychopath.

He's famous, and I'm just ”the second Cynthia”. A plot device for telling his story.

The writers of that show made up some shadowy crook, ”the real killer who was never caught”, so they could show artistic interpretations of what really happened to us Cynthias. I got 32 seconds of screen time when my actor was buried in Oakwood Creek (or in reality, somebody's back yard that played the part of Oakwood Creek in the show).

Since the writers couldn't use any of the places the police had really investigated, they had to choose the most reasonable disposal site out of the ones that hadn't been searched. A place near where we lived, where nobody would find us. They just looked at a map, made some measurements, and pointed to a secluded little corner in Oakwood Creek. ”Yup, that's where I'd bury three bodies”.

And that happens to be the exact place where he really did bury us. That's coincidence for you.

But instead of being awarded for their investigative journalism, the writers are handed Emmys. While I'm here with my bones bare, since everything I had to rot has already rotted away. My skeleton fingers coincidentally intertwined with those of the third Cynthia, who was just... dumped on top of me. We're right here in the ground, where the internet's most popular series showed us to be.

And nobody has still come for us.

Instead, they're sending love letters to the man who hid us here. 

--- 

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets