Skip to main content

Mr. Blank (Part 1)

 https://media.istockphoto.com/id/839995972/video/front-view-of-an-old-fashioned-antique-super-8mm-film-projector-projecting-a-beam-of-light-in.jpg?s=640x640&k=20&c=mmma7m0KglQQD9EJCRUp2lsXrTDpZBCJ1bybDb3Eaww= 

”It’s weird, right? Whatever lol, might as well check it out. Haven’t seen a horror movie that’s actually scared me in a while.”

That was the last text Lacey had sent me before she went missing. I knows it’s irrational, but I hate myself for not doing something. For not stopping her. But how was I supposed to know? How could I have anticipated anything that was going to happen after?

The “film” (or whatever the hell it is) made its way into our small town like a plague only a few days ago. Twelve people bought tickets for it. Twelve people are now missing. Among them was Lacey, my girlfriend of over two years.

At the risk of sounding like “that” guy, our future was looking nothing but promising. We have plans. Well, we did. Until Mr. Fucking Blank showed up.

This is nowhere near a conventional missing persons case, of course. The rabbit hole goes deep here, and honestly, the details simply don’t make any sense.

From what I managed to dig up, this is a general timeline of what had happened:

-An option to buy tickets for the film shows up at one of the three theaters in our town, which is about a twenty-minute walk from my house. Only that one. And it wasn’t available online. Only at the front counter of the theater itself.

-It wasn’t supposed to be in the regular rotation. Also, none of the employees at the theater were informed about any special screening. They simply came in and saw that it’d replaced a 5:30 PM slot for a pre-existing film. They didn’t question it, because why would they?

-The first and only screening was at 5:30 PM on that day. The theater wasn’t the busiest, but it wasn’t empty, either. Of course, most people opted to skip it, given the lack of any information regarding the film. With that being said, the only people who bought tickets were younger, likely curious about the odd title.

-The film lasted about one hour and 10 minutes, with all the previews and credits considered. Pretty short for a feature, huh? At 6:40 PM, an employee entered the theater for clean-up duty. What he found were rows and rows of empty seats, with drink cups still in the holders and popcorn littered all over the floors. No blood, no signs of a struggle. Nobody had left or entered the theater after the film had begun (with confirmation from the security cameras. The theaters itself had no cameras inside, so that part remains a mystery). The screen allegedly consisted of nothing but a dark static. That’s what we were told, at least. I have a feeling that some details were left out from there, considering the fact that the employee in question is now missing as well. (Also rumored to have gone into a catatonic state after being questioned.)

-The manager of the theater (who never greeted the employees that morning, as he usually did), was found dead in his office, with severe wounds around his neck left from a plastic bike lock that was likely used to strangle him.

-A new employee was hired about three weeks prior. The other employees described him as a quiet, but nice guy. He was working the day of the incident. You guessed it. He’s missing as well. Also suspect #1 in the investigation. However, they’re really grasping for straws at that one. I wouldn’t doubt that this employee had something to do with it, but the logistics behind the whole situation just aren't cohesive enough to make that call for sure.

Some additional details:

-No copy of the film has been found

-No progress has been made on the search for the missing people. Hell, it hardly seems like they're even trying.

-The local cops have been strangely hush about the whole thing. Almost like they don’t want people asking about it. They literally threatened to arrest me when I kept pressing them for details.

-There’s been a lot of vehicles with tinted windows parked near the theater and surrounding areas. Some even in my own community.

Well, that’s the situation. I can’t focus on anything right now. My brain's scattered and my anxiety's been going through the roof. Sue me, what the hell do you expect. Lacey has to be out there somewhere, right? How the hell is somebody just supposed to disappear into thin air? And what the hell kind of film was “Mr. Blank?”

Christ, I’m getting a headache just thinking about it. My initial grief has been replaced more so by confusion and anger. I might just start searching for answers myself. I won’t be alone, though. Rose – Lacey’s best friend and Mike – her brother, are just as bent on figuring this out as I am.

I’m not going in blind, though. In fact, I have two leads. One is more of a shot in the dark, but the other should lead us somewhere concrete. I’ll start off with the former. A few weeks ago, I remember my little brother telling me about a “strange man” he saw carved into a tree. It was allegedly accompanied by messy and frantic repetitions of the word “STOP” around it. I didn’t think anything about it at the time, but it might be relevant now. Maybe not. We’ll see.

The other came up while I was searching for answers online. After feverishly posting about the film on what I considered to be relevant forums and yielding no answers, somebody finally messaged me about it, claiming that they had information that I might like to know. Luckily, they’re only a three-hour drive from here, and are willing to meet halfway.

Is this a bad idea? Probably. Am I going to like what I find? Probably not. But the thought of Lacey being out there in god knows what kind of fucked-up situation… I just can’t take it.

I'm not letting it end like this. 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets