Skip to main content

The Bowl of Pripyat (Part 1)

 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5bbKRCloyak/maxresdefault.jpg 

When I first opened the yellow envelope that contained the journal of Alexi Petrovich, my first thought was that it was a mistake or a joke. It was clearly an old journal, and as I flipped through its pages, I saw that it was filled with a small, cramped handwriting that I didn’t recognize at first because of the words filling the spaces between the rows of faded blue lines. You see, the words were in Russian and I don’t know any Russian.

But as I paused at random and began studying a page, I felt my hands start to tingle. It was as though a mild current was passing through the journal, causing my fingers to clamp tighter on the plastic cover of the book as I realized I wasn’t just looking at the words. I was reading them.

It was an account of how the strange attacks near Pripyat had grown worse in the last few weeks, and how this man, Alexi, was considering talking to his uncle in Kiev about them coming to live there, at least for awhile. There was more, but it was lost in a growing haze of confusion and fear.

These words, all in a language I shouldn’t understand but was somehow able to read, looked like they were written in my handwriting.


The journal had come without a return address or any kind of accompanying note or explanation. It had just been pushed through my mail slot one day when I was away at work. I asked my neighbors if they had seen anyone leaving me an envelope, but no one had. I actually waited until the next day to try reading the journal again, my delay mainly born out of my fear and reluctance at confirming that something so strange had come into my life. I half hoped when I picked up the journal again, I’d be unable to make any sense of it at all. Instead, I began comfortably reading it from the first page.

It seems that Alexi had originally started the journal in October of 1984 after receiving the book as a gift from his mother. Like happens for so many people, the entries started out regular before quickly petering out to nothing as his interest waned. Those first writings covered a period from when he got the journal until December of 1985, and that whole fourteen months only amounted to seven entries. Two of which when he was sad and one of which when he was drunk.

It felt strange and somehow wrong reading this man’s inner thoughts and feelings, even when they were put down in such a sparse and perfunctory fashion. It wasn’t as though he was bearing his soul that much, but I still felt uneasy when he started morosely talking about disappointing his father (who apparently had named him after an old Russian Tsarevich who was tortured and killed by his own father according to the internet) or how he really liked this girl who had moved to town a few months earlier.

It wasn’t until January of 1986 that the entries started to grow more frequent, and there seemed to be several reasons for this. For one, he got engaged to that girl he liked. For another, he got a promotion at his job. He was now the shift supervisor for the Number 3 and 4 light water reactors at the power plant. The power plant was named Chernobyl.

The third reason he was writing more was to document his growing concerns—not about the impending nuclear accident, of which he knew nothing from his perspective in time, but the strange attacks that had started near Pripyat recently. I could feel his fear and worry as I read his words. Four people had been killed and Alexi believed the government was somehow involved.

On January 21, 1985, Alexi writes a long entry describing a story he heard from a co-worker and something he saw with his own eyes. Rather than try to paraphrase it, I have reproduced my best translation of this excerpt below.


I have never known Luka to be a liar. A cheat at cards, yes, but not dishonest in things that matter. And when he told me about the Bowl of Pripyat, I know he wasn’t lying. He was too afraid for it to be anything other than the truth.

He said, as we all know, that there are certain work tunnels and other areas underneath portions of Pripyat. Some say it is for a bomb shelter, others say it is for certain important people to travel between the town and the plant. Luka says it is for secret government things, the chief of which is the Bowl of Pripyat.

According to Luka, he had an older brother who worked on the plans for where to place the reactor and the “nuclear city” of Pripyat. The location was chosen because of something that was found there years earlier in a cavern deep below. They called it the “Bowl of Pripyat”.

It was a gigantic metallic bowl that stood as high as a tall man and as wide as two Wartburg 353s were long. It appeared to be empty at first, but over time it was discovered that the bottom would sometimes fill with a strange liquid. You could stir and shift the liquid, but attempting to remove any of it was somehow impossible, and anyone who touched the liquid seemed to go immediately and permanently insane. You would think this would cause people to stay away from the Bowl, but as my father used to say, “Appetite comes with eating.” The mystery and danger of the artifact caused it to become a highly prized commodity among those with power.

The building of the plant and the city were the perfect cover, as no one would pay attention to a few extra trucks or men coming in or out of the area in the dead of night. Luka says that his brother never saw the bowl, but two of his workers had. They had come back and told Luka’s brother strange tales of what was happening in that dark cavern deep in the earth, and it was clear that they were terrified. The next day, his brother received notice that the two men had been transferred elsewhere, and he never heard from them again.

The thought of all this was both scary and exciting, but at the time I had no intention of investigating it further. I am no brain, but I know better than to poke a sleeping bear. Still, over the next few weeks, I would find my gaze wandering to a certain patch of woods as I passed by on my way to and from work. Out in a clearing half a kilometer from the road, there was a large concrete pillar that ended in a heavy metal grate. I had always assumed it was some kind of ventilation for the tunnels underneath, but before Luka’s story it had always been a mild curiosity at best. Now it was imbued with a kind of weight that was both attractive and repulsive. Still, I stayed away.

When the attacks started last month, my mind immediately went to the Bowl of Pripyat. This may seem foolish to some—while Pripyat only has small crimes usually, it is not unheard of for someone to be attacked or even killed. But this was different. One of the bodies I’ve seen myself and the others I’ve heard tell of, and the way they were burned and changed, it seems unnatural. People, good and sensible people, started talking about witchcraft and curses, or possibly some kind of Nav. But my mind went to the thing I had come to believe lay beneath us.

Tonight when I was walking home, my eyes went to that patch of forest again. My feet froze to the spot as I saw something looking back at me. It was tall—half again as tall as a large man—and even obscured by the trees and shadow, I could tell it had an unnatural shape unlike that of any person or animal I knew. It did not move, but simply watched me as I gathered up the courage to run back home as quickly as I could.

Every step I ran I expected to be my last. The thing would catch me from behind and drag me away. They would find my body as they had the others—cracked, charred and bloated with bones that no longer seemed to fit together right. But nothing happened. I made it back home and have heard no sign of the creature in the hours since. I’m writing this to not only make a record, but to help me decide if I should talk to others about it as well. I do not wish to be thought a fool, but I also do not want others getting hurt if what I know could help.


I have talked to some of the other men in the village, and to my surprise, no one laughed. Others have seen and heard things themselves, it seems, and while none of us mentioned the rumors about the Bowl or the cavern, we all seemed to be in agreement that some kind of monster is plaguing our woods. After some discussion, they have agreed to handle it without notifying any officials. They are forming a hunting party tonight and have asked me to go along. I am not good with a rifle, but I will still go. I feel this is important and necessary to keep us all safe.


There continue to be more entries after this, but they are usually short and typically detail their efforts to hunt this creature. Over the next two months, three more people are killed and the hunting party is going out every night with no success.

Then there is a brief paragraph that says that there was a city-wide assembly held by government officials. The townsfolk were told to stop all hunting activities, that this was a government matter that was being investigated. Anyone found outside of town at night (aside from going to and from work at the plant) would risk arrest and punishment.

The next one was the last entry written by Alexi and was clearly hastily done, with the man’s normally precise handwriting, so much like my own, being replaced with the slanting cursive I use when I’m in a rush. The date of the entry was April 27, 1986, the day after the Chernobyl disaster.


The plant is still burning. They say it started with Reactor 4. Everyone is afraid of getting sick from the radiation. Many people want to leave, but others say the radiation goes with the wind, and we are safer here. I say that it doesn’t matter, because the whole thing is a lie.

Last week we started the hunting party again. The military was doing nothing and our people kept dying, so we resolved to act. Night before last a group of us went on patrol, and for the first time, we found what we had been looking for. I wish now that we hadn’t.

The creature was standing over the body of a woman, though between her condition and the dark, I couldn’t have said who it was, and in the commotion of the past two days I still haven’t learned. It looked up at us, and in the glow of our lights, we saw it fully. God, but we saw it too well.

It was tall and slender, with a long, wide head that trailed off into thick ribbons of twitching flesh that seemed to move on their own, coiling and writhing around its spindly arms and legs like puppet strings. Its torso was a ruined, misshapen mass of bone and meat, with several openings that showed the black, glistening turmoil of its relentlessly churning insides. The worst parts were its eyes and skin, though for wholly different reasons. The skin…I would have to call its skin a kind of yellow, though it was a strangely shining shade that seemed wrong somehow. Just looking at how it glowed in the light make my stomach quiver and something inside my head shift uneasily. As for its eyes…they looked almost human beyond their large size and light purple hue. They were intelligent eyes. Eyes filled with knowledge and emotion.

And it was looking at us with equal parts of curiosity and contempt.

We tried to fight it, but as it stepped forward, most of the men dropped their weapons and fell to the ground, jerking like they were in the throws of a fit. I felt my father’s shotgun fall from my grasp as I sank to my knees. I wanted to close my eyes, to not watch this horrible thing approach and kill us, but I was transfixed. As the men around me grew more violent in their thrashings, I started to hear the first of several dull cracks as they broke their own backs and necks one by one.

As for me, the monster stopped in front of me and squatted down, studying me with what might have been mild amusement on a more human face. After a few moments, it snaked out a speckled orange tongue and ran it up my face. As it finished, it spoke a single word.

”Selah.”

Either my revulsion and fear overcame its control over me or the creature chose to release me. Either way I ran back to the town as quick as I could. Within two hours we were packed and ready to go Kiev, invitation from my uncle or not. But that’s when the soldiers came, telling us there had been a fire at the plant, and that no one was allowed to leave for the time being.

I am trying to keep up a brave face for my wife-to-be, my beautiful Alena, but I am terrified. Afraid of the radiation if the fires are real, to be sure. But more afraid of the thing this “accident” is meant to cover up. The thing that touched me and gave these troubling thoughts and dreams.

Because while I have slept little in the last two days, what sleep I’ve had has been strange and troubled. And I find my waking hours invaded by memories and thoughts that are not my own. Of a life that is not my own.

In that life, I am an American man named Brian and it seems to be many years in the future. Young and successful, that life is easier in some ways and harder in others. I have a family there, a job, thoughts and dreams that are both alien to me and undeniably familiar. I cannot say for sure if I am forgetting Alexi or remembering Brian, but either way it makes me both happy and terrified, as though I delight at the thought at being eradicated and made new.

Perhaps it is radiation sickness, but I fear it is something worse. Some hex placed on me by that vile creature in the woods. I fear what its corruption might be doing to me. And God help me, I fear that it might stop.


My name is Brian Favors. And I no longer think all of this is some strange coincidence or magical happenstance. I believe everything that Alexi wrote down, and I know he wasn’t crazy. Or if he was, then so am I.

Because I’m beginning to remember things too. Things from Alexi’s life that were never in the journal. The look of mild surprise and pride on my father’s face when I told him of my promotion. The smell of my sweet Alena’s hair when I held her close. The feel of that rotten thing’s tongue as it raked roughly up my face and somehow unmoored me and my counterpoint from normal reality and time.

I still remember being Brian, but it is harder now. The memories of both men swim around each other like hungry fishes vying for scraps of my attention. They shove and crowd each other until it is sometimes hard to see either clearly. I should think I’m just going crazy, but I don’t think I am. And much like Alexi…or Brian…in the journal, I don’t know that I want it to stop.

I write all of this with the hope it will clear my mind, at least somewhat. I post it with the hope that I can receive advice as to what I should do next. I’m strongly considering traveling to the Ukraine. Pripyat has become a tourist attraction of all things, and while the trip will be costly, it may be that I could find answers there. But will the answers I find help ease my troubled mind or only give me more questions?

For as my father always said, “Appetite comes with eating.” 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets