Skip to main content

You Have A Delivery Scheduled (Part 2)

 https://img.freepik.com/free-photo/silhouette-tree-trunk-spooky-lonely-generated-by-ai_188544-22712.jpg?t=st=1705769294~exp=1705772894~hmac=cb31ccf98ac71e605672f8608ff20fb3fa0c538431898cab13b572d15fb4b66b&w=996 

911. What’s your emergency?

I…I just got this thing. This package. There was a fire or something at my building, and I was…

Sir, I need you to slow down for me, okay? Do you feel safe where you are right now?

Yes…I don’t know. I think so. I’m in my car.

Okay. That’s good. So take a breath for me and then try and tell me what’s going on.

I work at [REDACTED]. It’s in the [REDACTED] building on the twelfth floor. A little while ago the fire alarms went off, we had to go outside, and then we were told by the cops the office was closed. There’s some kind of investigation going on.

Yes, I’m pulling up dispatch logs and seeing that call went out earlier. Sir, if that’s the only reason you’re calling, then rest assured that…

No! Listen! Please…just listen. I started getting weird texts this morning saying I had a delivery coming. I hadn’t ordered anything. They kept getting weirder, kind of creepy. Then when we are all outside after the fire alarm, I find a package addressed to me. I open it up and there’s a camera in there. There’s video on it of what looks like someone being trapped in a room and burned alive. It looks like it happened on one of the floors of my office building.

That sounds very upsetting, sir. You say that you watched this video?

Yes. It was terrible, but yes.

And you think that this might have happened in your building?

I…I don’t know. Possibly.

What floor do you think it might have happened on? You know, if it did happen?

What? How would I know? Look, I didn’t have anything to do with this. I just got this video randomly and…

So you think that someone just randomly picked you out to send a video of them murdering someone?

How the fuck should I know? Look, I’m just trying to help catch the sick fucker that did this and…

Sir, I need you to remain calm. No need to be defensive. I’m here to help. Where are you at right now?

I…I’m in my car. Third floor of the parking deck we all use for work. It’s the closest one to the building.

Got it. Sending someone to you now. Just stay in your car with the doors locked for me, okay? And stay on the line.

Yeah, um, okay. Oh, maybe the tenth floor?

What about the tenth floor?

My friend Becky said she saw people from the tenth floor being pulled out of the crowd by the cops, so maybe if this video is from today, it happened on the tenth floor? But I mean the cops should already know where it happened, right?

Sure. But as you can imagine, it’s been a busy day for all of us.

Yeah sure. Are they almost here? I’ll be happy to give a statement and all, but I’m kind of freaked out. I want to be rid of this thing.

Rid of what thing? What are you trying to get rid of?

What? The camera. I don’t want to be near that disgusting thing.

Oh. I thought maybe you meant the bag under your seat.

What the fuck is this! This isn’t mine!

What isn’t yours, sir? I need you to talk to me.

I…There’s a bag under my seat with gloves in it. I opened it up and it smells really bad. What is this? Did you plant this in my car?

Sir, you’re growing hysterical. Please remain calm.

No! No. You’re in on this. You’re trying to frame me or something.

What are you talking about, sir?

You said…You asked about a bag under my seat. How did you know there was a bag under my seat?

Sir, I didn’t say that. You must have misunderstood me. I know this is hard, but I can assure you, no one is trying to frame you for anything.

I…I don’t know what’s going on.

I understand. I’m here to help. What was it you said you found again?

A bag. There was a sandwich bag with rubber gloves in it. I opened it up and it stinks.

Does it smell like Carbon Disulfide?

What? How would I know that?

Sorry. Does it smell like rotten eggs?

Um, yeah, I guess. Look, I sealed it back up and put it on the seat next to me. It’ll have my fingerprints on it, but I swear, I didn’t put it there. I’ve never seen it before.

I understand. Please remain calm. And remain on the line with me. Someone is almost there.

Okay, well I just…wait, my phone just buzzed. Just a second.

Fuck, it’s another message. Like the other ones. It says ‘Delivery Completed’. I…I think I need to go. I can drive to the police station or something.

Sir, please remain where you are. It shouldn’t be much…

Someone’s coming up now.

Good. Stay on the line with me please.

Shit, it’s not a cop. It’s Becky. Can I get out and see what she wants?

Please stay in the car, sir.

But it’s just my fr…What? What are you doing? What the fuck are…NO! NO! Fuck, NO! Why the fuck…

Sir, what’s happening?

Oh God. What…nonono.

Sir?

You’ve got to help her. Oh God, she has to be dead…but you have to come and try to help her. Please. Oh God, oh fuck, what…

Sir, I need you to talk to me. Please tell me what’s happening.

Becky…oh God…Becky, my friend from work. She came up to my car and pulled out this black thing. It looked like the thing the killer used in the video. She squirted something on herself and set herself on fire. Oh God…I…she’s not moving any more.

So you’re saying your friend Becky from work just came up to your car and set herself on fire? Am I hearing you right, sir?

Yes…why the…Yes, yes…she did.

I understand. Do you see anyone else around?

No. But I need to go somewhere else. I can’t stay here.

Sir, you’re now at an active crime scene. Please do not move or leave the area.

But I…Oh no.

What is it?

I just got another message. It says ‘You have a delivery scheduled.’ Oh God, why is this happening to me?

How about now, sir?

W-what? How about now what?

Do you feel fucking safe now? 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets