Skip to main content

I Need to Get Out of Here

https://www.worth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Burch_Mouse_featured.jpg

It's been a while.

As the speaker continued to ramble on about whatever, I could feel my eyelids getting heavy. So... heavy. I didn't want to be there, but I had to. If we tried skipping out, the boss would've been on our asses immediately. And they took attendance at the door.

Still, I was running on 3 hours of sleep, which forced me to eventually doze off. When I woke back up, the auditorium was silent. I was under the momentary impression that the speech had ended, so with my eyes still half-closed, I started getting up.

But the room was still full. Nobody was saying a word, though. The speaker simply stared ahead, his face devoid of any emotion, save for an empty, obscure smile. The people around me held comparable expressions, all seemingly frozen in place. This lasted for about five seconds before the speaker started talking again.

I thought I was going crazy, possibly delusions spurred on by sleep-deprivation. With that in mind, I closed my eyes once again, not caring so much about the consequences if I were to be caught. When I woke back up, I was feeling refreshed. But the speech was still transpiring.

How long is this gonna last? I thought to myself.

I took out my phone, checking the time. 1:34 AM. The speech was supposed to end at 10 PM. I looked around, but everybody seemed complacent about the situation. But eventually, I spotted a few worried faces - three in total, looking as confused as I probably was. I made eye contact with one of them.

I turned to the person next to me, asking in a whisper about when the talk would be over. I assumed I missed something big during my nap.

They didn't respond to me. They simply stared ahead... same blank eyes with the same empty smile. Suddenly, the speaker stopped talking again. I looked towards the stage, seeing that same expression on his face.

Am I having a fever dream?

The silence lasted about three minutes before he went back to his spiel. This time, I actually paid attention to what he was saying. It was... the same speech he was giving before. The exact words. In fact, he even introduced himself again. I pulled out my phone, texting one of my colleagues, who was in the theater with me, asking him what was going on.

No response. I scoured the crowd once again, eventually spotting him at the front. Like nearly everybody else, he had same stare and smile.

I decided to raise my hand, in order to get the attention of the speaker. No reaction.

My heart was starting to race, given the obscure and inexplicably terrifying situation. After about twenty more minutes, I could hear the speaker beginning to stumble over his words. Not in a human-like manner, though. It was more robotic. Almost like a badly-programmed robot.

It all started becoming too much. I stood up and prepared to leave. But before I could take a step, I heard a cough coming from somewhere in the crowd. I looked over, seeing the woman I'd made eye contact with earlier feverishly shaking her head. There was genuine terror in her eyes.

I sat back down, sweating and shaking nearly uncontrollably. I decided to call 911. A few rings and the operator asked me what my emergency was. As I got out the first few words, the theater went quiet again. I didn't want to look up, because I already knew what I would probably see. But I halted my words, doing so anyway.

Everybody, speaker and audience alike, was staring at me. Same dead eyes. Same empty smile. But not exactly. It was nearly impossible to discern, but there was a malicious presence in their collective expressions that wasn't there before.

"Hello? Sir?"

The 911 operator continued to speak on the other end. With every little sound she made, their faces became more and more subtly distorted. I shut the phone off and sat still. Everybody turned away and the speaker began talking again. I looked back at the woman who coughed earlier and saw her silently crying.

Thirty minutes later, and the speaker was hardly coherent, simply stringing together words that failed to form sentences with any actual meaning. However, I could hear faint police sirens from outside. The cops had come. Somebody in the front row took this as motivation, bolting out of his seat and sprinting up the stairs. I watched intently as he burst through the door. From the few seconds it was open, I could see tall figures in black cloaks and twisted masks circling the exit.

The runner's screams were intense, but short-lived, getting cut off immediately. The police stormed into the building shortly after, only to suffer the same fate.

It's 3:35 AM now. The speaker's words have devolved into a quick, guttural series of throaty staccatos. His face has also begun drooping, along with the rest of the audience.

The woman is crying loudly now, and the only thing I can do is join her. 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets