Skip to main content

I Live In A Town That Doesn't Exist (Part 1)


Series By: deathfox919

I cannot say where exactly my town is, as if you end up in it, you most likely will not survive your travels through it. I will say that it is in the eastern half of the United States, and bores some very interesting characteristics. This is why (officially, at least), our town doesn't exist. Our town is part of a swath of unincorporated territory that stretches for what seems to be a hundred miles. We are one of the southernmost points in this territory and the only point in which there is an actual grocery store and a McDonald's. Our town holds about two thousand or so residents and has some very neat perks to it that I have enjoyed up into my adulthood.

And while every town in America has some sort of dark past, I think mine takes the cake for having a history of violence and mystery. If you think I'm kidding or exaggerating, let me give you some examples right off the top of my head:

Since I was six, I can remember a child disappearing every year on April 23rd. Every year, the child would be reported missing at exactly 11:45 AM local time, and an Amber Alert would go out. Every year, on April 27th, at exactly 9:00 PM, their mutilated corpse would be found. It would always be within a quarter of a mile from where the first boy appeared back in 2004. Also, a large oak tree would always have a foreign symbol carved into it after one of these disappearances, and the symbol was different every time.

I remember back when the first child disappeared, and this sick trend began to plague our town. The missing boy's name was Timothy Ulrich and he was found dead by Officer Gwen Swanson right on the banks of the local river. It's a large river, not as large as the mighty Colorado River per se, but it does have the strength to help give electricity to the nearest city. The year after that, little Olivia Gallant was found weighted down at the bottom of the said river. Another odd pattern that is probably worth noting is that every single one of these children had turned eight years old less than a month ago. Luckily, I turned eight in September and didn't have to worry about ending up in this situation, but my friend, Tommy, had a sister who died in this mysterious about five years ago. This case has been open for years, and yet there has never been any advancement into catching whoever, or whatever, is doing this to the town children.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I was visiting a family friend once in Boulder, Colorado. I had just turned eighteen and wanted to see them one last time before I head off to my start of the American Dream at the University of Florida. I received a text on a Friday night from my mother, telling me that my dad was dying and that I needed to come home immediately. I have always been incredibly close with my father to the point where my mother and I have had many spats over it, so I immediately raced to the airport to see when I would be able to catch a plane home. There wouldn't be one for almost eight hours and it was almost a ten-hour flight with a layover, so it was likely I'd hit home faster if I drove. I floored it for almost twelve straight hours as I made my way back to see my dying father, only to discover a multitude of oddities. First of all, my father was completely fine, which was a huge relief. However, when I told them about the text, it didn't exist. I never received a text from my mom saying that my dad was in critical condition and on his death bed. Exactly a week after this, my father suffered a massive heart attack and was admitted to the local hospital in critical condition. He survived and is still with us nearly a year and a half after this incident, but it just goes to show some of the freaky events that occur within this town.

Currently, I am not attending the University of Florida. According to them, I was never once on any roster or in the system at all. I feel like this town has something to do with this, but there is nothing I can do about it now. Now I am working at the grocery store as a bagboy, which is just a load of fun. However, I've also had some freaky experiences here while working. I once bagged the groceries for a talking dog. After that, I took my break and had my boss drug test me to make sure someone didn't accidentally slip me something. My co-worker, Victoria, vouched for me when I told him about what I saw. I also once bagged the groceries for a man who looked and acted a lot like Charles Manson. His driver's license even said he was from California (I only know this because we have to see valid ID to sell people alcohol, we've had a few Benjamin Button cases in this town). His name wasn't Charles Manson though, it said the man's name was Jack Withers. Once, in the backroom, I found a jar of human fingers, one of which was still moving. One of the butcher's, David, tossed it in the garbage and said, "We don't need that. Don't worry about it."

The point is, there's a lot of freaky shit that goes on in this town. It doesn't exist on any map because no one wants more fatalities on this town's record. There's been a total of six hundred deaths within town limits in the time that this town has been incorporated, and the people who haven't lived here their whole lives really won't understand our ways of life to keep us from meeting horrible fates. A great example would be of this hipster-ish couple that moved onto Mulberry Way. Once the sun goes down, you never open your door on Mulberry way, as there are humanoid monsters that feast on human flesh that live in the woods around that area. This couple didn't know this, and evidently answered the door for someone around 10:45 (all the clocks in the house had stopped, something else that happens when one of these slaughters takes place). That house was being cleaned out for at least a week after that, and all of the flooring in the downstairs had to be replaced. That house is abandoned now, as no one in town was willing to buy it. Who would want to live on Mulberry Lane?

Now, you may be thinking something like Why the Hell is he telling these stories now?

Well, last weekend, Victoria and I were grabbing some coffee before work when we noticed some strange black vans in front of the town hall. All week, everyone in our town has been noticing them creeping through our peaceful and mysterious little hamlet, and we have no idea who the Hell these guys are. What I do know is that my boss went missing two days ago, along with eight other people. All of these disappearances have been occurring ever since those vans showed up. I talked to my dad's friend, Rick, who has lived in this town for all sixty-eight years of his life, and he is genuinely freaked out by these vans showing up. He's lived through all the strange events that have befallan this town for the bast sixty-eight years, served in Vietnam, and was supposed to be on the plane that hit the South Tower on 9/11; nothing freaks this man out.

I'm just worried a whole new threat may have come to our town...that technically doesnt even exist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets