Skip to main content

The Haunting Incident

When I was little, my dad would ask his friend to babysit me sometimes. My mom wasn't there growing up so my dad had to rely on other people to look after me when he couldn't be at home. One of my dad's friends, I'll call him John, told me a story one night that still sends shivers up my spine. It went like this:

I used to be a truck driver and I was driving a rig out in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere, Oregon. I had to make a delivery the next morning so I decided to just drive through the night. It was maybe one in the morning, so no one was on the roads. I hadn't seen another car in probably a hundred miles.

After a while of driving in solitude the whole sky lit up like it was daylight. I instantly slammed on the breaks, having no clue what the fuck was going on. I could see everything, from the surrounding pine forest and mountains to the two lane road ahead of me. It stayed like this for a good ten seconds. Whatever was happening definitely wasn't lightning or some kind of weather, the light wasn't flickering at all. I came to the realization that if it wasn't a natural phenomenon, the next option was an atomic bomb. I hunkered down thinking this could be my death, anticipating nuclear devastation that... never came. There was no sound, no blast wave. I sat in the road like this waiting for five minutes before deciding there was nothing to do but keep driving. I figured it was a meteor or some kind of crazy space shit.

About two miles up the road I came across a car with it's flashers on, stopped in the middle of the road. I stopped a good distance away from it, there was no space to go around. The front end of the car was crumpled like they hit something. I figured they probably hit a deer that got spooked whenever the meteor went over and ran into the road. I got out of the truck to check on the people inside to see if they were okay.

As I got closer I saw that the driver was sitting on the ground by the passenger side door. Him being there as opposed to the driver side struck me as odd, but it wasn't really anything worrying. He had his knees up, his head resting on them. Concerned, I called out from about ten feet away, "Hey buddy you alright?"

Something about the whole situation felt weird. Listening to my gut, I didn't get any closer to the man.

"My head is killing me," he groaned. He didn't lift his head up so it came out muffled.

"Did you hit a deer?" I called out. I was getting more and more uneasy. Something just felt wrong but I couldn't figure out what exactly it was.

The guy then pleaded, "Can you help me? I think I hurt my head."

I took a step forward, but my instincts were going apeshit. I looked at everything again, and that's when I noticed it. The fucking car was all wrong. It looked like what someone thinks a car looks like, if that makes sense. It had all the right parts but nothing extra. Like a cheap Hot Wheels knock-off, all wonky and wrong. I directed my eyes to the back of the car where not only was there no license plate, but no trunk. It was just one solid piece of material with tail lights out on it. No manufacturer, no model names. I know cars and I've never seen anything like this. I inspected the car hoping to find at least one normal detail, but there was nothing. No hubcaps, not even a tailpipe. Just the shape of a car, wheels, headlights, and some windows.

The car was my breaking point. Now I thought was the time to leave. I started to back up and the man asked for help again. His voice had started to develop an aggressive tone. Again, I told him that I couldn't help him and that I'd call a tow truck when I get to the text town. In response to this he said, "I have a concussion, please I need your help." With that he lifted his head from his knees to look at me.

Something was very, very wrong with this guy's face. It took me a second to process what it was. Everything on this man's face was where it should have been, in its normal position. Except for the fact that his eyes and mouth were on upside down.

I sprinted faster than I ever had in my life back to my rig. Even so, as soon as I frantically lept into the truck and secured the door the thing slammed into it behind me. How the fuck did he get there so fast? He knocked on the glass and smiled at me. Because his mouth was on upside down it looked like he was screaming when he asked to be let into the truck. I fucking floored the gas, not caring if I hit the guy or not. My truck easily pushed the "car" out of the way. Whatever it was, it was light and made no sound when I hit it.

Unfortunately it's an anticlimactic ending. John got where he was going with no further problems. My dad knows the story but I don't think he believes it. John on the other hand tells it to everyone he meets, so he obviously does. He's absolutely adamant about the guy being an alien. 

Years later I heard about the Thatcher effect and nearly had a heart attack when I saw it. I showed one of the pictures to John and he wouldn't even look at it. He said it was exactly what the guy looked like. Try looking up an example for yourself, it's terrifying given some context. 

Moral of the story: Beware aliens in the middle of no where.

---

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/8oo22q/my_dads_friend_babysat_me_sometimes_and_he_told_a/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets