Skip to main content

Imposter


You’ve all heard some variation of the doppelganger story. A daughter hears her mom calling her from downstairs, only to be pulled into the hall closet on the way down. The woman then claims to be her actual mom. Pretty fucked up and brilliantly scary. Well I’ve been experiencing this for real.

Last week my brother was in a four wheeler accident. He rolled seven times after attempting to ride up a steep mountain. He died in that crash. I personally touched his lifeless body before running to get help. Only, when I got back, he was fine.

My mom hugged him while sobbing. Somehow she failed to see how lifeless his eyes were. Honestly, I too was relieved to see him up and moving. Then logic kicked in. No one could have survived that crash… he DIDN’T survive it.

He was taken to the hospital for he night. While sitting in the waiting room, I told my mom how that couldn’t be him. She grew angry at me for saying something so terrible.

"Just look at his eyes!" I yelled.

"He has a damn concussion!" She snapped back.

Arguing with her was pointless, so I sat there in silence. Something had inhabited my brothers body, i just had to prove it. That’s when i began to formulate a test.

The next day, I asked my brother to take a walk with me. We made our way to a desolate part of the mountains. Once we found a clearing, i grabbed him around the waist and slammed him to the ground.

"What the fuck!" He gasped for air.

"I know my brother died yesterday, who are you?" My entire body weight was on his arms.

"You’re fucking crazy dude, I’m obviously right here." He began to struggle beneath me.

I stared directly into his lifeless eyes, “show me where we buried our time capsule.”

Slowly I climbed off of him. He stared at me as he climbed up from the dirt. We began to walk with him leading the way. I said nothing as we continued to walk through the mountains. Finally, we stopped next to a rock.

"Look man, that concussion really messed with my memory. I have no idea where we buried it." He stared at me as he spoke.

He failed the test.

"We never buried a time capsule." I replied.

Lights flashed in my vision. My breathing was coming in short gasps as i lay on the dirt. I had not been expecting him to hit me.

"Leave me alone. If you don’t believe I’m alive, then you’re sick in the head. Back off!" He took off towards the house.

Days passed and i watched this impostor fool my family. He sat with us at dinner, rode witb us to the store, and he slept in my brothers room. My family was either too stupid, or too naive to see how lifeless his eyes were. Even his speech pattern had changed. Yet the blame was always shifted to me when I’d point these things out. Somehow, i was the bad guy.

My family actively avoids conversation with me now. That thing in my brother’s body harbors all of their attention. He even had the balls to suggest they put me in therapy. I’m not crazy, they’re just blind. I don’t care what he does anymore though. Tonight I’m going to save my family from his mind games. Tonight I’m going to kill him, and this time he’ll stay dead.


Credits to: Exxile4000

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets