Skip to main content

The Little Witch of Pilot’s Knob



The Little Witch of Pilot’s Knob is a strange and scary legend surrounding a young girl who was buried in a concrete grave in Marion, Kentucky.

Years ago, back in 1916, a woman named Mary Louise Ford and her five year old daughter, Mary Ellen Ford, were living in Pilot’s Knob. Both mother and daughter were accused of being witches and the superstitious villagers were too terrified to wait and bring them to trial. Instead, they dragged the mother and daughter out of their house and burned them alive at the stake.

They buried the mother’s body somewhere else, but they were afraid that the little witch girl would come back from the dead in search of revenge. So the fearful villagers made sure they took precautions to protect themselves. They buried her right there in Pilot’s Knob in a steel reinforced coffin. After they lowered it into her grave, they filled it in with concrete. Then they put gravel all over the top and built a metal fence all around the grave site. The fence was made from interconnected white crosses, which the villagers believed would keep the ghost of the little witch trapped inside.

According to legend, the little witch’s ghost paces back and forth behind the fence. They say that she is still searching for her mother who was buried elsewhere, but she cannot escape the confines of the fence.

Some people have even seen tiny child’s footprints in the gravel over her grave. Locals believe that if you visit the little witch’s grave alone and get too close, her hands will come up from the grave, grab hold of you and drag you down into the concrete.

Those who have seen her say she wears a white dress that is scorched at the bottom and her long blonde hair smoulders at the ends.

People who live in the area advise visitors not to go near the grave site. “I never go there”, said one local, “No one does. There is a lot of stuff that goes on up there.” Other locals will tell you that you need to “turn around and not go into that cemetery.”


Credits to: Read If You Dare on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets