Skip to main content

Vanity


WARNING: EATING DISORDER MENTIONED

I live in a home where vanity is placed a step above health. I have a wife and teenage daughter, and let’s just say I’m not exactly pleased with the example my significant other is setting. She’s had over a dozen plastic surgeries, mostly around the face and neck. She’d had breast implants last year, but was forced to remove them due to repeated infection. The woman actually flew to Brazil for a facelift. Brazil. I’d never heard of such a thing. She’s been pumped with so much botox that her forehead is basically a pincushion at this point. Her hair is bleached once a week. She tends to sleep in her makeup. It’s not a pretty sight.

Now that our daughter has become a little heavier, my wife has become an even bigger pain in the ass. When she’s not constantly suggesting workout schedules to the poor girl, she’s replacing half of her meals with diet shakes and raw vegetables. I can see the hurt in my daughter’s expression, and as her waistline swells her self-esteem deflates. I’d watched enough talk shows to know that it was an eating disorder waiting to happen. I was in the process of repeating this to my wife yesterday over dinner with friends. This time she had a new angle, however.

“I’m telling you that girl is hiding something,” she said through clenched teeth.

“Yeah, well maybe she’s hiding snickers bars. You don’t know. Christ, just leave it alone.”

“With all of the help I’ve given she should be losing weight right now…and she’s been awfully quiet lately. Really not like her usual self,” turning to the other couple at the table.

I held my hand in the air. “No, no. She’s not behaving like herself because you’re being way too hard on her. You know how sensitive young girls and women are about their weight, and you just nag her endlessly.”

“You wanna know what I think’s going on?” she asked with a hooked eyebrow.

“Not particularly.”

“That girl is fucking pregnant.”

I felt my heart jitter in my chest, and immediately I started to deny it. I thought about my daughter’s slightly distended belly and my mouth went dry. My wife’s friend across the table changed subjects mercifully, but the night was effectively ruined.

This morning I took my daughter to the doctor. As she was being examined, I could only think of how her life might now be destroyed, gone and sucked dry by a child. I was just too young to be a grandfather. When the doctor came back in with the results, I was holding my little girl’s hand, shaking.

He spoke in a rough baritone and seemed very authoritative in the clean white coat. I could tell immediately he didn’t bring good news. “Well, you’re daughter is definitely not pregnant.”

A little sigh of relief came out of me, but I knew he wasn’t done talking.

“Polygonoporus Giganticus.”

“Excuse me?”

“It’s a massive species of tapeworm…I would say the one inside your daughter is approaching a hundred feet in length and I really don’t know HOW she could’ve contracted this.”

I immediately felt sheer horror. I didn’t know what to say or think. I spoke with a trembling voice. “Have you seen anything like this before?”

His face suggested that he hadn’t. “In some parts of the world people actually purchase these for weight loss. Really sick stuff.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, in South America. Brazil, more specifically.”

 _________
written by Otis Mari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets