Skip to main content

Countdown Till The End


My father in law is a detective. I met him a year ago when my partner introduced me to her family. He’s no Sherlock Holmes, but clever and seasoned one nonetheless. Normally he doesn’t really tell me, or anyone for that matter, about his work, and this Christmas Dinner was the first time I had ever realized what life changing work a detective did.

September 3 1991. His first case. He was about 22 at the time, a novice in the field of criminal work. The department were no fools, just letting a newbie go do dangerous work alone, so they assigned him to a more experienced detective.

The case was not the typical homicide typically seen in Chicago, but a suicide. Some kid, 16, hung himself, the department told him. They wanted my father in law and his mentor to go and investigate the scene. They were accompanied by a photographer and two others who would do note taking, fingerprints and footprints, measurements, etc.. A typical 5 man team led by my father in law partially, and his mentor majorly.

When they arrived at what was reported as a Motel, the suicide scene seemed very typical. Just a teen who hung himself in the middle of a room. My father in law, however, noticed that the noose seemed to be barbed. What seemed like metallic spikes emerged on the rope for the entirety of the length.

When measurements were done, dates recorded, and surroundings photographed, the two detectives were given clearance to inspect the body. The much more seasoned detective was looking through the corpse’s pockets while my father in law observed. After stumbling on what seemed to be a note, the detective pointed to one of the notetakers and told him to write. Then, he read from the note.

"10. We are the countdown to the end."

The suicide note was certainly spine chilling. They all pondered at what it could possibly mean. My father in law, young at the time, thought it was linked with a cult. His mentor shrugged it off.

One of the workers gave them a vial filled with blood, and asked them to bring it back to the department for a DNA scan. The two detectives complied.

Fast forward three days, and despite their efforts, they were unable to identify the teen and his DNA. My father in law got a phone call later that day, and reported to the department immediately. The news was very grim.

Four more suicides. He and his mentor were sent to investigate a female victim’s scene. I’ll cut out the details, but I will say that it involved self immolation, and the wall was painted in blood with a single, giant, number “8”. From all four suicides, the victims all died in different ways, all had a number involved, and the victims were unable to be identified.

The countdown stopped then. My father in law continued with his work. He’s a seasoned detective now, and doesn’t deal with the blood and guts anymore. He’s moved on to shoplifting and vandalism cases now.

That’s all he’s told me. That’s all I know.


Credits to: http://shawn3yboy.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets