Skip to main content

The Puzzle Box



Yesterday I was at a self-storage unit I rent for old furniture, boxes, etc. Anyway, when I went back out and got into my truck there was a envelope on my seat. I left the doors unlocked, but I was only 10 feet away the whole time. I might have been moving stuff and didn’t see, but I had no idea anyone was even in that section of the place, let alone walking by my truck. That was a little freaky, but nothing compared to what I found inside the envelope.

It was a USB memory stick. My name was on the envelope, but the stick was totally generic. Maybe I shouldn’t have let my curiosity get the better of me, but when I got home later I put it right in my computer to see what it was. Without even clicking anything a text file immediately uploaded to my computer and opened. This is what it said, (redacted identifying names):

"Hello (my full name),


You don’t know me, but I’ve been following you around for a while. Something nice you did for someone else made me take notice of you, so I’ve chosen you to help me. You see, my life isn’t kind, or normal like yours. I hurt people, and when my job requires it, I kill them.


Don’t worry, I’m not going to kill you. I’ve done enough killing, and my own number is up soon, so I wanted to do something different with the last few weeks I’ve had. I’ve been watching you, and whether or not you know it yet, you have a very important decision to make.


First, let me talk shop. Disposing of a body is generally an easy thing to do. Wrap it up in trash bags then stick it in a large 5 foot long storage bin. The problem arises when you have two bodies, but only one bin. Then it becomes a puzzle. You can’t just cram them both in, it won’t work, so you have to do some cutting. Once you have more manageable pieces then you can work the puzzle. Let me just give you a hint, you gotta start with the torso, it’s the biggest piece and the rest you can fit in as needed.


But let’s get down to business. I own the storage unit to the right of your unit. The bigger one. The key is currently under the doormat outside the back door of your house. Also, on your next bank statement you’ll notice that you’ve been renting it for several months. Don’t worry, I took care of the charges.


Inside the unit you will find, stacked from top to bottom, storage bins filled with bodies. Most of them are there for a good reason, some maybe not, but what you should be more concerned about is the body of your old boss, (name). The one you had a very public falling out with when he fired you for bogus reasons. Probably one of the few times I’ve seen you lose your temper. You made some pretty serious threats.


Before you stop reading and attempt to contact authorities you should do yourself a favor and keep reading. Inside the storage bin with his body is a pair of your work gloves. The ones you thought you lost. Why am I doing this? Because I want you to do something for me, something I can’t do. And I want to be sure you follow through, not just go to the police.


Inside one of the other storage containers is all of the money I’ve made over the years. More than I could spend, more than you’ll be able to spend. I don’t want it going to the police when they eventually find the storage unit. I want you to use it. I could never donate it with blood on my hands and a guilty conscience, but I think you’ll do the right thing and use it to help others. Like I said, I’ve been watching you, and getting to know you pretty well. I know what drives you, and I know if you had the resources you would try to make things right. For her.


You have a choice to make. Go to the cops right now and take your chances with the justice system. The evidence might be circumstantial, but you’ll be lucky if you don’t get death row. Or you could try to find your boss’ body, but you’ll have to go through a lot of storage bins before you find the right one, putting your DNA all over the place. That would be even harder to explain.


So you really only have one option. Find the money and use it to destroy all the evidence. That should be your first priority. Hell, you could buy the entire storage company and demolish it. I’ll leave that up to you. I have no doubt you’ll do the right thing.”

I figured it was a joke, someone that knew a few details about me trying to freak me out. Then I went out back and looked under the doormat. The key was there.

Credits to: thedreadlordTim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets