Skip to main content

Post Mortem Class Photo


This is a school photo taken in 1924, of the students of Dunrobin State School, No. 3777, near Casterton, South Western Victoria, Australia. Some 80 years earlier, the land the school stands on was a massive 153,600 acres, used for sheep. Later, in 1912, the government purchased the land and subdivided it into smaller allotments. With a burgeoning population making their homes in the new settlement a school was needed, and students originally took lessons in a old woolshed on the Dunrobin Station.

In 1913 a purpose built school building was constructed, including an outhouse, water tanks and a flagpole. With only a small population, and only about 30 children attending the school, all students were taught in the one class.

As it is now, as it was then, every year a class photograph was taken. If you look closely at this picture, you may notice something quite strange, maybe a little unsettling about it.

The students all look a little morose, upset, not a genuine smile to be seen (unlike the picture taken the year before which you can see on the bottom left). Why do the students look so unhappy in this photo, when in previous years photographs they are smiling and full of life?

The answer may shock you somewhat – one of the students in the photogaph is dead.

In the back row, the girl farthest to the right with the headscarf, wears a completely blank expression, her eyes devoid of all emotion. She had passed away the previous day. No records explain how she died… all that we know is her last name is Howlett.

There is a wooden board behind her (not the window frame, the board would be well hidden), propping her up, her headscarf, aside from being a nice accessory, is also acting to tie her head back to the post, keeping it upright.

The expressions on the children’s faces, especially those closest to her, speak of the emotion going through their minds – they are no doubt saddened by the death of one of their friends, but also possibly somewhat discomforted by having her propped up amongst them.

It was not entirely unusual for one to have photographs taken of their loved ones after they had passed back in the days of old, in order to have a keepsake of what the person looked like, especially as back in the day, photos were not anywhere near as common as they are today.

However, many people believe the story of this ‘post mortem class photo’ to be completely fraudulent, a modern day piece of folklore cobbled together by those trawling for freakish finds on the internet.

There is no proof either way for or against the facts of this story. Regardless, post mortem photography is a very real thing. Although not a common practice nowadays, the year this class photo was taken, 1924, still falls into the timeframe of which this style of photography was common (though very much towards the end of its popularity).

What do you think?
A rather interesting yet macabre example of post mortem photography?
Or overactive imaginations coming together online to create this rather fascinating story?


Ashley Hall 2013.

Photo: Dunrobin State School no.3777 1924 student photo.
Inset Left: The previous years photo, students much more happy and vibrant.
Inset Right: A close up of the girl at the center of this story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets