Skip to main content

The Mystery Shopper


Last year all through October I worked at one of those Halloween stores that carried everything from costumes for children and adults to dancing skeletons that you can hang outside of your house. This was a particularly large store in a very rural area, so it was the only one around for miles. I know that Halloween will never be the same for me since my experience there, and I am still trying to piece together the entire event in my mind. Maybe writing all of this down will help me to organize my thoughts and gain some kind of insight into the seemingly impossible and horrifying things that I witnessed.

It was Halloween night and I was scheduled to work a shift at the store. I was too old for trick r’ treating and I hadn’t been invited to any parties or anything like that, so working that night didn’t seem like such a bad thing. All of the last minute shoppers came in looking for costumes for themselves or their children, but by then a lot of our inventory had been cleared out. I watched as teenagers snatched up evil clown masks, vampire teeth, and fake blood. Around 7 o’clock the stream of customers began dwindling down and the other girl that was working with me was told to go home, leaving me to finish out my shift with just the manager.

I was messing around on my phone behind one of the cash registers when I noticed a very tall and stocky man stroll into the store wearing a plaid shirt, jeans, and a filthy burlap sack tied around his head with small holes cut where his eyes and mouth were. He glanced over at me for what seemed like an hour and grabbed a shopping cart, whistling as he began looking around. It wasn’t altogether unheard of to get people coming into the store on Halloween with their costumes on. After all, this was a rural area and there wasn’t a whole lot to do. Maybe he was just killing time and wanted to look around at some of our hokey Halloween decorations, I thought. The store didn’t have a policy that forbade this, so I just quietly watched as this man made his way through the store, whistling an eerie tune while looking at some wooden tombstones and fake spider webs.

The man in the burlap sack walked around the store at a leisurely pace, but quickly began looking more and more impatient, as if he was searching for something in particular. Usually when I see someone who looks like they need help finding something I go over and ask them, but this time I wasn’t about to do that. I stood firmly in place behind the register like a stone statue, my eyes fixated on this man who looked like he had stepped directly off the set of a horror movie.

After about 10 minutes or so of being in the store, the man with the sack on his head stopped abruptly when he saw a selection of rubber human limbs. Our store had a wide variety of bloody arms, legs, and even a few heads for customers to choose from. The man bent down and picked up a couple arms and a leg, putting them in the cart. He began to whistle his chilling tune again as he made his way to the very back of the store. I saw him disappear into the men’s restroom, which was not something our manager allowed. We were specifically told that no customer can go into the bathroom with merchandise, but my manager was nowhere in sight and I wasn’t about to go in there and tell this guy he was in violation of store policy.

Thirty minutes later the man came out of the restroom with his cart and limbs inside, walking towards the registers while still humming to himself. All I could think as he approached is how this is probably going to be the most difficult transaction I have ever made with a customer, but I tried my best to steady my hands which were now shaking. The man passed right by the cash registers and went straight out the exit, the automatic doors clearing his path.

On my first day working there I was instructed never to engage or follow a customer leaving the store with unpaid merchandise, and there was no way I was going to confront this guy. After I shook myself free of the hypnotic spell the man’s eerie presence had cast on me, I immediately started looking for my manager, Rob. I checked the back office and didn’t find him, so there was only one other place to look, the bathroom.

I slowly pushed open the door to the men’s restroom and was confronted with a scene that sent a wave of terror shooting through my entire body that felt like ice water filling my veins. I froze up completely and my mouth dropped open as I surveyed the carnage that surrounded me. There was a body lying on the floor in a massive puddle of blood. Both of the man’s arms and one of his legs had been completely severed, and in their place were rubber limbs resting against the stumps. I covered my mouth with one hand and carefully leaned over the body to see a shirt tag with the name “Rob” on it.


Credits to: photofreecreepypasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets