Skip to main content

The Gas Meter Man



I used to live in a weird little village. A couple thousand people lived there supposedly, but it was a commuter village, so their lives were elsewhere aside from the farmer’s market during the summer, a general store, and an unsettling little pet food store, but that’s a different story. I didn’t go to the local school and I’d been excommunicated so I didn’t really know anyone aside from the guy across the street and his bigoted landlord.

Every so often, a guy would come over to the house to check the gas meters. He never really bothered us aside from occasionally looking in the windows for a little too long before walking away. It was odd, but seemed harmless.

As the year went on, he started coming over more than once a month. My mom figured it was because of the snow and they needed to make sure the meters were still working. That seemed plausible, and, being a kid at the time, I didn’t want to think anything else.

Fast forward a couple months. My house had two stories and the yard was sloped so the front entrance on the top floor was flat as well as the entrance to the backyard on the lower level. There was a concrete ledge next to the house that was barely big enough for most of the trash cans. It was a pain to get to and from there you could see right into my mom’s room. If you had curtains and closed them, people thought you were up to something.

Since it was such a small town, either you knew everyone and their business, you knew someone like that, you minded your own business and didn’t really talk to anyone, or you simply had a vacation home that was clearly empty for the entire winter. We’d already been marked as someone no one should trust, talk to, and in a couple cases even look in the direction of in our last village so we went with it. One day the gas guy got onto that ledge, which must’ve taken a great deal of effort, and stared into my mom’s window. Because of the layout of the room she didn’t see when he got there so who knows how long he watched her. He ran after getting caught.

A week or so later a different gas guy came by the house with a little thing that looked like a smartphone. My mom talked to him and it turned out they hadn’t sent the other guy and didn’t know who he was or how he got a uniform. He also said that he could just read the meters with his little device and wouldn’t need to mess with the meters unless they were repairing something.

The guy never came back, and I moved pretty far away, but it still scares me.


Credits to: photofreecreepypasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets