Skip to main content

The Running Grounds




The woman bled as she ran to her backyard. Her husband followed.

She climbed over the fence and started limping towards the woods.

Her husband pointed his revolver with a steady hand and shot her until the chambers were empty.

With her lungs punctured, she fell.

There she lay, quietly agonizing as she cursed him with every last breath.

~ ~ ~

Heavy rains flooded the grounds in the following months.

As the woods were cleared to make a running track for a housing project that was being built nearby, the construction workers found her remains.

"We should call the police, so they can investigate."

"No, the construction’s been delayed long enough as it is with the rain. Surely there’s nothing they can do at this point; the rain must have washed up all the evidence. Just mash it up and put it in the concrete mixer."

"What are you crazy?!"

"DO IT OR YOU’RE FIRED, YOU PIECE OF SHIT!"

"Well I quit, fucking sick…"

Bang

"I’ll do it myself then…fucker.”- said the man, after he claimed another victim.

He mashed up their remains with jackhammer, and he shoveled them into the concrete mixer. The track was laid and was covered with the tartan running surface. No one would ever find out.

~ ~ ~

As people settled into the apartments, they began to use the running track. Quickly, they learned to avoid running there at night.

The field was unnaturally dark and misty. The runners felt chills and panic, as their steady pace turned into a frantic sprint towards the safety of their homes.

But something seemed to follow them…

…all the way to their dreams where they were haunted by the bloodied corpse of a woman who commanded them to kill.

By the end of the year, a total of seven murders and six suicides had occurred.

~ ~ ~

On the anniversary of her death, she harvested the souls after they had fermented in restless solitude.

She gathered them and gave them purpose.

She pointed them towards the point of origin of their affliction.

She promised them, after they avenged her, they would be free.

He was drinking whiskey in the backyard, when his blurred vision detected the approaching specters.

"What is that?"

He stood up and stumbled towards his fence. There, he squinted and recognized her in the distance.

"THAT FUCKING WITCH!"

The specters lead a sonambulistic horde, covered by the mist and darkness.

He took out his gun and futilely emptied his magazine.

The horde marched on.

He broke his bottle of whiskey against the fence and slashed wildly.

Until the chill descended over him, immobilizing him.

Leaving him helpless against the horde of his sleepwalking neighbors.

They pummeled his body into the ground, they tore him apart, and they consumed him completely.

After this communion, they could finally rest in peace.


Credits to: kvtvkvmbs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets