Skip to main content

Ichor Falls Local Legends


The Stitched Man.

This legend seems to be based on the story of William Harker. Harker was one of the first settlers of the Ichor Falls valley, and a master tailor whose work was known throughout Delaware. Richard Bayard, mayor of Wilmington, DE, was noted to have ordered three suits from Harker in 1836, saying “The man could stitch anything.”

In 1840 a cooking fire started in Harker’s home, tragically killing his wife and infant son, and seriously injuring him. Allegedly, Harker overheard doctors saying that they would not be able to heal his burns, and when they returned to his bedside, Harker called for his sewing kit.

Harker died four days later, and the legend began shortly after — first as a tribute to the master tailor, that he had been able to stitch himself back to health, and went to search for his wife and child to “repair” them too. But the legend became more and more perverse over the generations, with the common lore being that the Stitched Man now sought replacements for his dead family, and that if he claimed you, you would wake up one night with Harker’s ragged, sewn-up corpse laboring over you with a needle and thread, your lips stitched together, with the only sound that of Harker’s softly beating cloth heart.

--:--

Totenkinder.

A German mistranslation of, literally, “dead children.” The holiday did not begin as a holiday, but an observance of the 1813 schoolhouse collapse, in which 12 Amish students died along with their teacher. Many settlers believed the collapse to be an omen of God’s displeasure with the settlement, and that Ichor Falls trespassed on hallowed ground. That year, every stick of lumber for building construction was torched, to purge the town of evil.

Decades later, schoolchildren participated in Totenkinder by building small model houses, placing a beloved toy inside, and lighting it on fire. If the house refused to catch fire (as often happens in Ichor Falls due to the humidity), the house was made by a good little boy or girl. If it did burn, the boy or girl was considered sinful.

In 1908, a little girl was badly hurt when her toy house caught her dress on fire. At this point the town treated Totenkinder as silly tradition and superstition, and not a real determination of good and evil. Nonetheless, because it was dangerous to children, Totenkinder was largely abandoned.

--:--

The Stillwood.


Because of its uneven ground, oddly tilted treeline and three very similarly curved creeks (flowing from the Erytheia), it’s easy for the inexperienced to get lost in Stillwood Forest southwest of Ichor Falls. One gets the sensation of walking in circles — especially when one encounters what looks like the same small creek several times.

In 1806, one of Edwin Cuthbert’s original party chased a deer into the Stillwood, and wound up lost for two days. When he finally returned, dehydrated and starving almost to the point of death, he insisted that he had been gone for nine days — even going so far as to show diary entries he had made with the rise and fall of the sun.

Although there was no other evidence to support strange goings-on other than a host of tall tales involving secret villages and mythical creatures, settlers avoided the Stillwood for generations. Even when mass logging began in the 1870s, the Stillwood was spared. It remains the oldest growth of all surrounding forests, although much of the other treeline has returned to Ichor Falls today, due to the halting of the logging trade and town evacuation in the late 1940s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets