Skip to main content

Wake Up




I just got home from school and I was feeling kinda hungry from the walk. So before I went into the kitchen to get a snack, I booted up my computer so that it would be ready for me by the time I got back. I went to the kitchen, made a quick turkey sandwich, and then sat down at the computer.

I was shocked when I looked at the monitor. It was just a black screen with red words that read “WAKE UP.” I thought it was just my sister playing a prank on me. So I went looking around the house to try and find her, but I couldn’t. I sat back down at the computer and tried to get it off of the screen. I used “CTRL + ALT + DEL” but nothing happened.

Irritated with my computer, I decided I would call my mom to see if she had accidentally done something to it. I dialed the number. “Hello?” she asked. “Hey mom. I was just wondering if you had been on the computer recently because it’s frozen and I can’t get it to work.” I replied. She explained to me that she hadn’t been home all day and that she hadn’t done anything to it.

I told her bye and right as I was about to hang up, I heard a faint voice on the phone. I couldn’t understand it, but it sounded like it was saying “Make up” or something. As soon as I heard it, I started to feel dizzy. I went to the bathroom to splash some cold water on my face. I turned the water on, put some water on my face, and when I looked into the mirror, I didn’t see my reflection.

What I saw struck an unbelievable amount of fear in my mind. It sent an enormous chill down my spine. I had never experienced anything like this before and I really wish I didn’t have to. What I saw was myself laying on my couch with my entire family standing around me. I could barely hear them saying “Wake up. Wake up, please” over and over again.

I ran from the mirror and headed to my house phone so I could phone my mom again. I still heard my families’ voices in my head. When I picked up the phone, all I could hear was “Wake up. Wake up, please” in static. I threw the phone, went outside, and ran to my neighbor’s house. I knocked on the door impatiently as he opened it. When he did, I froze.

His eyes were completely black and his mouth was frozen open in a large “O.” Voices were coming out of it, but his lips weren’t moving. They were the voices of my family again. I didn’t know what to do. I just turned around and ran as fast as I could. I had no clue what I was running from or where I was running to. But I tried to escape the voices.

I suddenly felt like I was falling. And then I realized that the ground was gone and I was falling into total darkness. I fell for a long time, screaming my lungs out.

Then I woke up. I was laying there on my couch, in cold sweat, breathing heavily. It was just a bad dream. But something wasn’t right. The atmosphere of my home was different. It felt eerie and dull. I stood up, walked into my bathroom and splashed some cold water on my face to wake me up completely.

I looked into the mirror.

I saw my family and a whole bunch of other people at a funeral. I recognized some of them, but there was also a ton of people I didn’t know there. My mother walked up to the coffin. Her eyes were bloodshot and she had tears running down her face. She looked into the coffin and told me that she loves me and misses me already. My father walked up behind her and tried to comfort her.

I couldn’t look any longer. I turned away, walked out of the bathroom into the living room, and something caught my eye. It was a piece of paper on the table. It looked like a note.

I picked it up and opened it. It read:

"Dear Enoch, we love you so much and we always will. Even though you aren’t with us right now, it still seems like you are. And you always will be. We’ll keep you close in our hearts. We love you, sweetheart. P.S. Wake up."

I suddenly heard the front door open. It was my mom, dad, and sister. I run up to them and tried talking to them and asking them what’s been going on. But it’s like I wasn’t even there. I don’t think they could hear me or see me. I kept trying to talk to them. It was no use. I gave up and turned around.

I was startled to see that my dad was looking me straight in the eye with a blank stare.

He said one thing to me. And that was “Wake up.”

Then everything was dark. I couldn’t see anything. I was completely engulfed in darkness. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t talk. I couldn’t feel anything.

I suddenly realized something…

I woke up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets