Skip to main content

Why Spiders Are Scary


Most people agree; spiders, on their own, aren’t scary. What’s scary is their size. They are small. They are easy to lose. The only thing scarier than the scary thing you see is the scary thing you don’t see. The spider could be anywhere. It could be under your covers. In your pillowcase. In your socks. Ready to strike at any time.

This is my predicament right now. Not a spider. No. A person, I suppose, would be my metaphorical spider. I live in a rural area in the Australian Outback. Not a very fancy desert town, but one surrounded by mountains. Oftentimes, at night, I’ll look outside and just think. I live alone right now, because I’m travelling for work, so I have a lot of downtime.

In any case, about a month ago, I started seeing a shadowy figure on the mountaintop. Keep in mind, this isn’t a distant, nor a tall mountain. It’s about an hour’s hike to the summit, and only about 20 minutes down the road. It’s not uncommon to see hikers or tourists on the mountain, but this one struck me as odd. It was 11 PM, far after dark. And if any of you know anything of Australia, you know snakes and spiders are common here, as part of the many things trying to kill you. This hiker, I presumed, hadn’t listened.

I’d continue to see this hiker every night for the next two weeks. Every night on a different part of the summit, but always at 11 PM exactly. He wouldn’t suddenly appear as though teleporting, but seemed to sort of fade into vision like an optical illusion. As though he’d been there the whole time and I’d just never noticed. I’d never seen him move, but he was never in the same spot. One night, however, he was somewhere else. It was hard to see but I could make out his figure on the trail that leads to the summit, barely, against the night sky. I watched him, but he never moved. Eventually, I drifted off to sleep.

For the next week, I’d progressively see him descending the mountain, as though he were moving in slow motion, descending the mountain over the past 3 weeks. But he was never there in the daytime.

On Friday, I saw him at the end of the street. This is the first time I actually became scared of this figure. I watched him. Perhaps for about an hour. I set up my GoPro camera and watched the video recording in the morning. He never moved, until my GoPro ran out of battery around 7 AM, which was also when I woke up. When I looked out, he was gone.

On Saturday, he was about a block closer. Performing the same ritual with the GoPro, he once again never moved from his spot.

On Sunday, he was in the same spot. He never moved, as expected, and I began to fear him less. As long as he isn’t moving, he won’t hurt me, right?

On Monday, he was across the road. Out here in the Outback the streetlights aren’t exactly top quality. They cast a tiny little loop of light and not much else, if they’re working at all. I never got a clear look at him, only his silhouette.

Yesterday, he was outside my window. Literally, right outside, at 11 PM. This was the night I didn’t look outside anymore. I went right to bed. I knew he wouldn’t move. He never did. And I didn’t expect him to. Like a spider, he didn’t scare me when I could see him.

But tonight, I have not seen him. It’s 11:09 PM and I don’t know where he is. He’s not on the mountain, nor on the trail or down the street or across the road or outside my window.

It’s 11:09 PM, and I don’t know where he is.


Credits to: Koog330

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets