Skip to main content

The Knocking


 

The knocking continues, the same sharp rhythmic pace. 

The lock is the only thing keeping them out. 

The cabin belonged to Sam's great-grandfather, and hadn't been used in years. We were miles from civilization, and anyone that could help. 

It started the moment we pulled up. I felt a sense of dread filling my chest as I stared at the cabin bathed in shadows from the trees that surrounded it. 

I pushed the feeling aside, chalking it up to being so far from everything and everyone. But the feeling didn't disappear. If anything, it got stronger. 

It was Sam who found it. He'd been looking for fishing gear in the cellar. Instead he found the jar, stuffed with a folded piece of paper, and what looked like a twig. 

He dumped the contents onto the floor, holding the twig in between his fingers. 

"It's… a bone." He'd said, dropping it into the jar with a clink. 

"A bone?" Cora asked, crinkling her nose.

"A small animal bone maybe." Sam said. He'd shook the dust from the paper, silently reading .

"What's it say?" Matt asked. 

"Just gibberish" he said, attempting to shove it back in the jar. 

Cora snatched it, staring at the shaky print. Matt read it out loud over her shoulder. 

"My wife is not my wife. She ate our dog, crunching his bones in her jaws. She's out there now, still knocking to be let in." 

There were brown streaks on the paper. 


Sam put the jar back in the cellar, but the damage, whatever that was, had been done. We'd all felt it, some sort of ominous countdown.

Matt was the first to go. At midnight he jumped up, mumbling something about his dog, and ran out into the woods. We tried to explain that he didn't have a dog. But he ran and ran until the darkness swallowed him up.

Cora chased after him screaming his name.

Sam left an hour later, swearing he'd heard his little brother calling him. Seth's been dead six years. 

Sam pushed me when I tried to stop him. I called after him, but he kept running. So I locked the door, sitting on the floor with my back against it. I'd get help in the morning, I reasoned

Then the knocking started. 

"Kay, let me in." Matt said. but his voice was wrong, like he had a mouthful of gravel. I ignored the knocking, and after a while he left.

But the knocking continued.

"Kaaaaay." Cora said. I could almost hear her smiling.  I stayed quiet, and like Matt, she left, eventually. 

Sam began knocking a few moments ago. 

"I'm coming in." He said, his voice like water bubbling in a drain, broken fingernails scratching at the wood.

I have a few hours until morning but I know I won't make it, because I can hear whatever that thing is behind the door chuckling, and an unmistakable jingling sound. 

That's when I remember that Sam has the keys.

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'