Skip to main content

Officer Down

https://bullsheathleather.com/cdn/shop/collections/Badge_Wallets_3.jpg?v=1617452187

It was 2am when he'd been awaken.

He rubbed his sleepy eyes, hurrying to his cruiser. 

December air stung his cheeks, chasing away the remaining tiredness from his body. 

"What's the problem?" He spoke into his walkie talkie, while the car drifted back down the driveway, crunching over the ice. 

"You're needed at the bridge. Someone's in trouble." The female voice replied. 

He felt his adrenaline pick up, and the car lurched forward, swerving on the ice for a moment before righting itself. He realized he had been gripping the door handle, and let go, embarrassed. 

He wanted to ask what was going on at the bridge, but he could see it's huge silver silhouette in the distance. The car was moving faster now, and he could feel his heart hammering. He wished he could slow down just a bit, but he knew it was his job to help. So he said nothing, gripping the handle. 

Finally the bridge loomed ahead, "I see the bridge. Is someone hurt?" He asked, feeling his excitement growing. 

"You are very brave officer." Was all the female voice offered. He thought he could hear her crying, and wondered why.

  Someone must be in trouble. He thought. 

The cars engine roared as it shot towards the start of the bridge. He cried out when it slammed against the side.

"It's ok. Almost there" The female said. 

Her voice comforted him, but only slightly. The car was moving too fast. He squeezed his badge, struggling to calm himself as the car made it to the top of the bridge. He frowned. No one. No cars, no other police. Just the steel girders coming closer, faster. 

He wanted to scream, but he was brave. He was a police officer. 

He looked up into the mirror, catching the females eyes. She was crying, but smiled too. She wasn't wearing her seat belt, he noticed. He opened his mouth to tell her, to remind her that he too was unbuckled and that it was against the law. But no words came. The sound of crunching metal exploded through the icy night, drowning out the officers screams.

**

The officer made his way down the slippery embankment, already steeling himself for what he would see. The car was little more than pieces, smashed on the rocks.

He could see what remained of the driver, part of her intact, still gripping the wheel. 

The boy was far less easy to behold. His little body, what was left of it, was still curled in the backseat, crushed like the rest of the vehicle. 

The officer shook his head, taking in the grim scene. It was always hard when he got calls that involved children. 

He never understood what made people do the things they did.

 When he saw the tiny plastic police badge bent on the ground a few feet from the wreckage, he nearly cried.

The officer bent his head.

"Officer down." He whispered. 

----
 
Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'