Skip to main content

Another Day

 https://i0.wp.com/dailyyonder.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/gray-cemetery-2-1-scaled.jpg?fit=1200%2C900&ssl=1 

Etta lumbered up the path, feeling her age in her bones with every step. She made her way towards the bench where Hattie sat waiting. 

"Hello Hattie. You look pleased. Did your son visit?" Etta asked. 

"No." Hattie said, "But my granddaughter came. She's in college now, can you believe it?" A proud smile etched across her withered face

Etta eased herself down onto the bench, her joints making the act difficult. 

These daily walks were becoming harder and harder. She wished she could have her scooter here. At Heartpine senior care she'd had full access, though she hardly used it then. Her pride had refused to admit she'd needed assistance with something as simple as walking. Seemed silly now.

"That's wonderful." Etta said, a pang of jealousy in her chest.

Her own family hadn't visited in years, and before that it was very seldom. She didn't know when she'd see them next, if ever. But things like that happened all the time. Etta saw it with countless others, and knew her turn was coming. 

Hattie was lucky. She still got visitors, although not often. But at least they still came, which was more than most could say. 

"She's a smart girl." Hattie gushed, but Etta wasn't listening. She'd let her attention wander to the large iron fence that bordered the property. She found herself looking more and more lately, wishing she could see beyond it. If she had known the view would be blocked, she'd have chosen better, like her awful satin dress that's seen better days.  

"Etta, why are you gawking at that fence again?" Hattie said, nudging her. 

"Where else should I look?" Etta snapped, then sighed, and turned away from the fence. 

"My apologies Hattie. I guess I'm a bit tired today." She said, smiling weakly. 

She was. Tired of the same dried up grounds, the same dried up residents, and of course those pathetic plastic flowers. At Heartpine they had a garden that the residents could tend to.  But it wasn't just the garden. At Heartpine, even the workers were warm and friendly. 

Here, at Everlive the workers hardly smiled, and never acknowledged the residents. But she supposed that was expected.

"I know!" Hattie said. "I heard there was a new resident this morning. Shall we go say hello?" She cooed as if Etta were a small child to placate. 

Etta got to her feet, following Hattie along the path. She did enjoy meeting new residents, although not too young. That was never easy. 

Many of the tombstones they passed were crumbling, jutting from the ground like broken teeth. Etta's own was cracked and fading, but at least her name was legible. 

"Hello!" Hattie and Etta called, waving at an elderly man who seemed disoriented, but smiled. Etta smiled too. She was glad they wouldn't have to explain things too much, not like with the younger ones. She strolled toward him, eager to meet the newest resident of Everlive Cemetery. 

 
----
 
Credits 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'