Skip to main content

Hunting

 https://cnr.ncsu.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2021/01/ncsu.cnr_.hunting.istock.featured-1024x576.jpg 

I hadn't always been a hunter. The idea just never appealed to me. That is until my father in law took me along one day during our annual hiking trip. 

I wasn't sold on the idea that day. The long quiet hours just sitting and waiting. The gunshot that nearly blew my eardrum. Or watching the deer die. 

But I guess you could say I caught the itch. I read up on it, bought a bow, and chose the track and find approach rather than sit and wait. I loved it. Nature was beautiful. I know hunting isn't easy for some. But you have to tell yourself that you're helping. Population control. It's important.

My last outing I was tracking a big buck, by the look of the prints, and after a day of hiking off-trail I found fresh prints headed toward a small stream. 

It was getting dark, and usually make camp round that time, but I figured I would check the stream first. 

As I made my way down a steep incline I heard the unmistakable sounds of footsteps, coming from somewhere off to my right. 

"Strange" I whispered. 

Like all wooded areas, this one had some stories going around. The usual mutilated campers, axe welding lumberjacks, and of course, Bigfoot. I know these are just bullshit, but these are the thoughts that go through your head while walking through the woods near sundown. 

I heard footsteps again, and by the sound they were failing at an attempt to be silent. My heart rate picked up. 

I tried to tread quietly, picturing a huge hairy beast lumbering by the bank, drinking water like an overgrown dog. 

But as the stream came into view I only saw that gorgeous buck.  

I looked around, and smiled. My favorite part. 

When my arrow hit it's target, the beast screamed. I hustled down to it, watching as the buck ran off in the trees. The hunter had dropped his gun, and was gasping, looking down at the arrow through his chest. 

"You shot...me" he said, shocked. "Call someone" he moaned. 

I pulled another arrow and aimed at his eye, which grew with confusion then fear. 

"Are you nuts!" He yelled, choking on blood. 

"I'm a hunter." I said. I let the arrow go into his skull. I was never one to let things suffer, no matter how despicable they could be.  

The buck he was hunting watched me from the treeline, and I could of sworn it nodded in appreciation. I nodded back, and collected my arrows.

It's funny how just a few short years ago the very idea of taking a life appalled me. If it wasn't for my father in law I wouldn't have ever found my calling. I have him to thank him, and I would, if he were still alive.

I never did see a Bigfoot yet. But I suppose anything could happen. There are some scary creatures out there.  

----
 
Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'